Last modified: 2013-03-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | cachoeira paulista |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
7 October 2012
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 6 October 2012
Cachoeira Paulista was originally a small village located near a chapel dedicated to Jesus Christ, built in 1780 by Sebastiana de Tal. On 18 October 1784, Manoel da Silva offered to the chapel a piece of land located on the left bank of river Paraíba. Cachoeira Paulista is named for the waterfalls ("cachoeira"). The town, however, was previously known under seven successive names: Porto da Caxoeira, Arraial do Porto da Cachoeira, Porto da Cachoeira, Arraial Porto da Cachoeira de Santo Antônio, Freguesia de Santo Antonio da Cachoeira, Vila de Santo Antonio da Bocaina, Vila de Santo Antônio da Cachoeira, Vila da Bocaina, Bocaina, Cachoeira, and Valparaíba.
The symbols of Cachoeira Paulista are prescribed in Article 3 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 5 April 1990, as "the flag and the coat of arms [already] in use when the Municipal Constitution was adopted, and the anthem established by Law". Article 4 prescribes the official colours of the municipality as "white" and "black".
http://www.cachoeirapaulista.sp.gov.br/web/documento/lei_organica.pdf - Municipal Constitution
Thirteen horizontal black and white stripes, and a 2:3 canton, five stripes deep, diagonally divided per bend sinister, blue-red-green, overlain by a white map of the municipality, on which are the municipal arms.
Photos of the flag
The coat of arms of Cachoeira Paulista is "A Portuguese shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown or, per fess, 1a. Azure a cross or and a palm proper crossed per saltire over a Bible argent, 1b. Vert a cog wheel or orling a stylized milk can argent in base a fess wavy or, 2. Gules a steel helmet and an arrow argent above a locomotive of the same camouflaged or. The shield surrounded dexter by a sugarcane and sinister by a branch of coffee fructed the tow proper. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the motto 'PUGNAVI PROPTER SÃO PAULO' in letters sable."
The Portuguese shield, traditionally used by Brazilian municipalities, recalls the ethnic origin of the people. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal autonomy. The first quarter recalls the religious formation of the people and the town's patron saint, St. Anthony. Azure represents the serenity of the people and the excellent climate of the region. Or is a symbol of nobleness. Argent is a symbol of creative faith. The second quarter represents the green p)pastures of he region, watered by river Paraíba, represented by the fess wavy. The charges represents dairy industry as the main source of income for the municipality. Vert is a symbol of hope. Or is a symbol of wealth. Argent is a symbol of work and progress. The third quarter recalls the involvement of Cachoeira Paulista in the 1932 Paulista War, when the town was the headquarters of the Constitutionalist forces. The locomotive recalls the famous armoured train used during the conflict. The plants recall the former agricultural resources of the region. Especially, the sugarcane ("cana") recalls the early settlement named São Bom Jesus da Cana Verde. The Latin motto reads "To Fight For São Paulo", being a tribute to the glorious past.
http://www.valedoparaiba.com/cidadesdaregiao/?pagina=cidade&cidade=Cachoeira%20Paulista&menu=906 - "Enciclopedia VP" website
Ivan Sache, 2 February 2013