This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Analândia, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-01-01 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | analândia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Analândia, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 17 September 2012

See also:

About the Flag

A blue flag with the municipal arms on a large white lozenge.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 17 September 2012

The municipality of Analândia (4,289 inhabitants in 2010; 3,266 ha) is located in central-eastern São Paulo State, 220 km of São Paulo.

Analândia was founded on 20 October 1887 by Diogo Eugênio de Sales, Luiz Corazza, João Pinto Pereira and Irineu de Souza Martins. The settlement was originally named Cuscuzeiro, for Cuscuzeiro Peak, a rocky spur that emerges a few km from the town. The district of Anápolis was established on 17 December 1890 by Law No. 105; the new name of the place was a tribute to St. Ann ("Ana"), the town's patron saint. The municipality of Anápolis was established on 21 June 1897 by Law No. 505 and inaugurated on 30 November 1897. The name of the municipality was changed to Analândia on 30 November 1944 by Law No. 14,334. - Municipal website

Photos of the flag:

The coat of arms of Anâlandia is "A Portuguese classic shield surmounted by a mural crown or masoned sable. Azure a peak terraced vert a river argent with a cascade, in chief three escutcheons, 1. Argent a tower of the arms of Lisbon, 2. Per fess a. Gules a spindle b. Or a rustic chapel masoned sable ensigned by a cross, 3. Argent three keys 2 + 1. The shield supported by branches of coffee proper. Below the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the motto 'AD ANALANDIAE SUBLIMITAMEM'."

The landscape represents Cuscuzeiro Peak*, the pastures and the Anâlandia Waterfall** (20 m in height). The first escutcheon recalls the landlord who offered pieces of land to establish a new settlement, Manoel Vicente Lisboa. The second escutcheon is a tribute to St. Ann, to which a primitive chapel was dedicated. The three keys recall the three founders of the town, Diogo Eugênio de Salles, Luiz Corazza and João Pinto Pereira The Latin motto means "For the Greatness of Analândia". - Municipal website

* - Photo
** - Photo
Ivan Sache, 29 December 2012