This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Assis, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-01-01 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | brazil | assis | bars: 8 (horizontal) | coat of arms | cross: christ knights | southern cross |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Assis, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 30 December 2012

See also:

Other sites:

About the Flag of Assis

The municipality of Assis (95,156 inhabitants in 2010; 46,171 ha) is located in southwestern São Paulo State, 450 km of São Paulo. Assis forms a strategic junctions between roads serving São Paulo, Paraná and Mato Grosso do Sul States.

Assis was founded by Francisco de Acis Nogueira and José Machado de Lima, owners of the Taquaral Estate on the banks of river Pari. On 1 July 1905, Francisco de Acis Nogueira offered a piece of land to establish a chapel dedicated to the Sacred-Heart of Jesus, St. Francis of Assisi and St. Anthony. The village that developed near the chapel belonged to the municipality of Campos Novos do Paranapanema (today, Campos Novos Paulista). The establishment of a station by the Sorocabana Railway caused the boom of the village. The district of Acis was established by State Law No. 1,496 of 30 December 1915. The municipality of Acis was established by State Law No. 1,581 of 20 December 1917. The inhabitants used to write the name of the place "Assis" instead of "Acis", which was eventually adopted as the official name of the municipality. - Website of the Municipal Council

The flag of Assis is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,238 of 31 March 1968. Designed by José Botelho, the flag was approved by the Commission set up by the Legislature and the Executive, including representatives of teaching, commerce and of the liberal class.

The flag is light blue with the municipal coat of arms in the upper hoist, three white bars across each of the upper fly and lower fly quarters, and the constellation of the Southern Cross in the lower fly. The three white bars represent the legislative, executive and judicial branches of government. - Municipal website

Photos of the flag: 

A copy of the flag used indoors has narrower white stripes: 

The coat of arms of Assis is prescribed by Municipal Law no. 294 of 6 August 1954. The coat of arms is tierced per bend sinister, blue with a gold Latin cross, red with the arm and banner from the São Paulo city arms, and gold with a white pair of scales. In sinister chief is an inescutcheon, white with a green triangle. The shield is flanked by coffee and sugar cane and the motto is "DEO ET TERRAE MATRI" (God and Mother Country).

Blue is the color of the sky. The golden cross is a symbol of the faith of the colonizers of the outback, recalling the first population nucleus protected by the cross of Christ and placed under the patronage of St. Francis of Assisi. Red is the color of triumph in fighting. The armoured arm, in 16th century style, refers to the time of discovery. It indicates acts of defense and increase of the municipality. The arm hold a four-pointed banner, alluding to the pioneers' conquests that enlarged the borders in the four compass directions. Like the cross of the Portuguese sailors recall them as discoverers of the world, the banner recalls the historic pioneers, such as João Amaro, Antônio Raposo, Bartolomeu Bueno, Domingos Jorge and Fernão Dias, who covered the outback with their banners. White is a symbol of loyalty, nobleness and glory. The white inescutcheon with the green triangle recalls the flag of Minas Gerais, as a tribute to Captain Francisco de Assis Nogueira, who offered the land to establish the new town subsequently named for him. The scales are a symbol of law and justice, recalling that Assis was an outpost for the colonization of the fertile areas located north of river Paraná. The four towers of the mural crown are set up symmetrically, to represent a model town where order, harmony and piece reign. Coffee and sugarcane are the main sources of income for the municipality. - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 30 December 2012

Variant with narrower stripes

Assis, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 30 December 2012