Last modified: 2020-07-14 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | carlos barbosa |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 19 January 2012
The municipality of Carlos Barbosa (29,409 inhabitants in 2018; 22,290 ha) is
located 100 km of Porto Alegre. The municipality is composed of the districts of
Carlos Barbosa (seat), Santa Luíza, Arcoverde and Santo Antônio de Castro.
Carlos Barbosa was mostly established in the 1870s by Italian immigrants coming from Lombardy and Venetia. The settlement was originally named for its geographical location: Linha Estrada General (General Line Road), then Primeira Secção do Caminho Geral (First Section of the General Path), and, after the set up of a church, a school and a cemetery, Trinta e Cinco (Thirty-five, for the plot's number). In 1909, the place was renamed to Santa Luíza by a railway engineer, as a tribute to his bride, the Belgian teacher Luíza Debauprés. On 25 January 1910, Júlio Azambuja, Intendent of Garibaldi, renamed the town to Carlos Barbosa, for Carlos Barbosa Gonçalves, Governor of Rio Grande do Sul from 1908 to 1913 and builder of the Montenegro-Caixas do Sul railway.
Carlos Barbosa was elevated in 1925 to the 2nd district of Garibaldi. The municipality of Carlos Barbosa was established by State Law No. 3,831 promulgated on 25 September 1959.
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020
city page records that the official flag of the City of Carlos Barbosa was
instituted by the Law nº 341/75, of 29 of September, 1975, and has the following
A rectangular flag, background of dark blue, with a rectangle of white edges forming the initials CB; the interior of the rectangle is white and on this is a gold cog-wheel. In the center of this is a disk with the words CARLOS BARBOSA and “25.09.59”. Two yellow heads of wheat with blue lining surrounds the wheel.
The significance of the colors and drawings are:
the rectangle, that surrounds the images makes up the letters CB, initials in the name of the City. The form, also, is of an open book representing the culture, given the great number of schools in relation to the existing population at the time. The cog-wheel represents work and industrial activity, whereas the two heads of grain represent the agricultural potential of the city and, finally, we find the name of the city and date of its political emancipation.
Valentin Poposki, 10 February 2006
The flag of Carlos Barbosa is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 341 promulgated
on 29 September 1975, modifying the Municipal Law (unnumbered) promulgated on 27
Rectangular shape, dark blue background, charged with a white rectangle forming letters "CB", inside the rectangle, on a white background, a golden lead cogwheel outlined in the rectangle's color: dark blue. In the center, a white circle inscribed "Carlos Barbosa, 25/9/59" in the greater rectangle's color; on the smaller rectangle, stylized, the letters "CB", two spikes in two yellow shades outlined in dark blue.
The colors and charges have the following meaning: the rectangle framing the images compose letters "CB", the initials of the municipality's name, also forming an open book representing culture and the great number of schools in relation with the population. The cogwheel represents work and industrial activity, while the two grain spikes represent the municipality's agricultural potential. The whole is completed by the name of the municipality and its date of political emancipation.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020