Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | vila nova do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 8 August 2020
The municipality of Vila Nova do Sul (4,221 inhabitants in 2010; 52,394 ha)
is located 270 km of Porto Alegre.
Vila Nova do Sul was established as São João Velho (Old Saint John), to be renamed in 1916 to Vila Nova (New Town) when restructured and elevated to a "vila" part of the municipality of São Sepé. The emergence of the town is credited to João Vicente da Silveira.
Ivan Sache, 8 August 2020
The flag and arms of Vila Nova do Sul are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 12
promulgated on 12 February 1993.
The flag of the municipality shall measure 1.60 m on 1.30 m.
The features of the flag of the municipality shall obey the following rules.
I - The flag's width is 14 units.
II - The flag's length is 20 units.
III - The flag shall have a white background, charged in the center with the coat of arms of the municipality. The shield's upper part shall be distant of 4 units from the flag's border and 3.5 units from the flag's lower edge, as prescribed in Article 5 of this Law.
The symbol of the municipality is a Portuguese shield obeying the following prescriptions.
I - The shield shall be of 6.5 units in width and 5 units in length, being divided into three fields, as follows.
a) The first field, in width 2.5 unit shall feature in upper left part a anthill of 0.4 unit on 0.4 unit, distant of 0.5 unit from the shield's edge.
On the right, a height of 1.3 unit in length. The anthill and the height placed on a golden yellow background.
In the base of this field, two stripes, red and dark green. The red stripe shall have a width between 0.2 unit and 0.3 unit. The dark green stripe shall have a constant width of 0.3 unit.
b) The second field, in width 1.6 unit, features on the left two crossed miner's picks on a golden yellow background, on the right a cow in the same dimensions as the picks.
The picks and cows have for dimensions 1.2 unit.
c) The third field in height 2.3 units, light green, features on the right a lamb in dimensions 1.0 unit on 1.0 unit, with St. John's emblem.
d) Crossing the second and third fields, from right to left, east-west, a black stripe with a yellow stripe in the center representing BR 90, road Osvaldo Aranha that links the capital of the state to the Southern Cone. Width, 0.60 unit.
II -The shield supported left by a maize plant and right by a rice plant, the two of 4.5 units in height on 0.5 unit in length. Distant of 0.3 unit from the shield's lateral border, two crossed lances, in their upper part 2.5 units on 0.05 unit in thickness.
The lances bear red pennants in dimensions 2 units, 1.3 unit and 1.0 unit, respectively, and two indigenous arrows with bone points of 1.5 unit in length.
Beneath the shield, a red scroll inscribed left "1876" and right "20 de março de 1992 Vila Nova do Sul". The scroll shall have a length of 6.0 units in the lower part on 0.8 unit in width and 2.0 units on 0.8 unit inscribed with the dates.
In the lower part of the shield, the lances are 2.2 units in length on 0.1 unit, broken by the scroll with inscription. The upper part of the scroll is distant of 0.1 unit from the shield's lower part.
The letters and numbers contained on the scroll are 0.4 unit in height on 0.2 unit in length.
The shield is surmounted by a crown argent with three castles and ten crenels. The castle's lower part is divided into three parts, the first of 5.0. units in length and 0.2 unit in length, distant of 0.3 unit from the shield. The two lateral castles are 1.0 unit in height with 0.4 unit added for the towers, on 0.8 unit in length. The central castle is 1.0 unit in height with 1.0 unit added in length for the tower on 0.4 unit in height.
III - The interpretation of the symbol of the municipality shall be the following.
A Portuguese shield divided into three fields. On the first field, the anthill represents union of the citizens who form a community. The height represents the achievements obtained through collective work. In the second field, two miner's picks representing gold and limestone extraction in the municipality.
In the third field, the lamb with St. John's emblem recalls the first name given to the place, São João Velho (Old Saint John).
The wheat and maize plants represent the municipality's main crops. The lances with pennants and the indigenous arrows represent tradition, based on indigenous customs bequeathed by the Indians (first settlers of the place), and the defenders of the national territory against invaders.
On the shield's top, the mural crown and the three castles represent force, courage and bravery required to defend the land.
Year "1876" is the first record of the place as São João Velho.
Year "1992" is the creation of the municipality of Vila Nova do Sul following the political emancipation of Vila Nova.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 8 August 2020