Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | são gabriel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 5 August 2020
The municipality of São Gabriel (62,105 inhabitants in 2019, 501,965 ha) is
located 320 km of Porto Alegre. The municipality is composed of the districts of
São Gabriel (seat), Vacacaí, Suspiro, Batovi, Cerro de Ouro, Tiarajú, Catuçaba
and Azevedo Sodré.
São Gabriel was established in 1800 by the Spanish naturalist Félix de Azara (1746-1821). The town was named for Gabriel de Avilés y del Fierro (1735-1810), Viceroy of the Río de la Plata from 1799 to 1801.
São Gabriel was the capital of the Riograndense Republic in 1840. In 1841, Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807-1882) crossed the town on his way to Uruguay with 900 bovine's heads as a payment for his four-years service to the Ragamuffin Revolution.
The municipality of São Gabriel was established by Provincial Law No. 8 promulgated on 4 April 1846.
São Gabriel is known as the Land of the Marshals, being the birth town of Marshals João Propício Menna Barreto (1808-1867; Head of the Military Command of South Brazil during the Uruguayan War, appointed Baron of São Gabriel in 1865), Fábio Patrício de Azambuja (1862-1955; Head of the Porto Alegre War Arsenal), President of the Republic Hermes Rodrigues da Fonseca (1855-1923; President from 1910 to 1914), and João Batista Mascarenhas de Moraes (1883-1968; Commander of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force during the Second World War).
Ivan Sache, 5 August 2020
A vertical tricolour, green-yellow-green, bearing the municipal arms
in the centre.
Dirk Schönberger 30 March 2012
The flag of São Gabriel is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 991 promulgated on
2 June 1977.
The flag of São Gabriel is composed of three equal vertical green stripes, in the center a yellow stripe charged with the coat of arms of São Gabriel prescribed by Municipal Law No. 9 promulgated in 1959, the lateral stripes light green.
The coat of arms of São Gabriel is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 9 promulgated on 31 March 1959.
A Portuguese shield divided in three fesses argent, or and azure (blue). In chief, on a chief argent, a Cross of Christ gules (red) filled or. In the center, on a field or, the Batovi hill vert (green). In base, a field azure (blue) the symbols or of cattle-breeding (an oxen) and agriculture, represented by a wheat spike and a rice panicle crossed beneth the oxen.
The shield surmounted by a four-towered mural crown or.
Beneath the shield a scroll gules (red) inscribed argent "15/XII - São Gabriel - 1859".
Ivan Sache, 5 August 2020