This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Santa Rosa do Sul, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | santa rosa do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Santa Rosa do Sul, RS (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 4 August 2020

See also:


The municipality of Santa Rosa do Sul (8,241 inhabitants; 16,440 ha) is located 250 km south-west of Porto Alegre.

Santa Rosa do Sul was established as Três Alfredos, a name coined for the patriarchs of the three families that founded the settlement, Alfredo José dos Santos, owner of the port of Lagoa de Sombrio; the chemist Alfredo Calazam Emerim; and the merchant Alfredo Teixeira da Rosa. The port allowed shipping of sugar, cassava flour and bananas between Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul. Sheds established over the lagoon allowed storage of products.
The building of the church was initiated on 10 October 1928 under the responsibility of Alfredo Teixeira da Rosa, Alfredo Calazam Emerim and Natalino Teixeira da Rosa. Since many inhabitants shared the family name Rosa, Vicar Antônio Luiz Dias proposed to dedicate the new church to St. Rosa of Lima.
Três Alfredos was renamed to Santa Rosa in 1932; Santa Rosa was elevated to a district of Sombrio by Resolution No. 1 issued on 24 November 1955.
The municipality of Santa Rosa do Sul was established by State Law No. 1,109 promulgated on 4 January 1988 and inaugurated on 1 June 1989.
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 4 August 2020


The flag of Santa Rosa do Sul is horizontally divided red-yellow-red with the municipal coat of arms all over.


Ivan Sache, 4 August 2020