Last modified: 2020-08-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | nova araçá |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 1 August 2020
The municipality of Nova Araçá (4,429 inhabitants in 2016; 7,470 ha) is
located 220 km north-west of Porto Alegre.
Nova Araçá was established on 8 March 1901 as the colonial nucleus of Araçá, as part of the 3rd district of Lagoa Vermelha; most colonists came from the "old colonies" of Bento Gonçalves, Flores da Cunha, Veranópolis... The colony was named for Cattley guava ("araçá", Psidium cattleyanum Sabine), a tree growing profusely near the stream, also named Araçá, forming a shelter and a meeting point. In 1932, Araçá was transferred to Prata, as its 4th district, to be renamed to Nova Araçá.
In 1962, the process of emancipation of a new municipality composed of Bassano, Nova Araçá and Paraí was initiated. Nova Araçá eventually followed its own way.
The municipality of Nova Araçá was established by Municipal Law No. 4,884 promulgated on 22 December 1964 and inaugurated on 12 April 1965.
Ivan Sache, 31 July 2020
The flag of Nova Araçá is white with the municipal coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 1 August 2020