This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ivorá, Rio Grande do Sul(Brazil)

Last modified: 2020-07-25 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | ivorá |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Ivorá, RS (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020

See also:


The municipality of Ivorá (2,104 inhabitants in 2017; 12,293 ha) is located 360 km of Porto Alegre.

Ivorá was settled in 1883 by Italian immigrants coming from Veneto and Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, as Núcleo Norte, referring to the location of the settlement north of Colônia Silveira Martins. Valentino Zancan, the first colonist, settled on 25 September 1883 with his wife, Osvalda Bortolot, and their four sons Antonio, Luigi Giacobbe, Giuseppe Osvaldo and Angelo Luigi. The urban plots were delimited in 1884. The settlement was renamed to Nova Údine for the town of origin of several colonists. The name of Ivorá, meaning "River of the Beautiful Beach" in Tupi-Guarani, was coined on 1 January 1939.
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020


The flag of Ivorá is horizontally divided green-red-blue, charged in the center of the municipal coat of arms inscribed in a white disc.
Green symbolizes the forests.
Red symbolizes the sacrifice of the Italian immigrants.
Blue symbolizes the sky.

The coat of arms of Ivorá features a representation of Monte Grappa and of the small chapel of the Virgin of the Guard, representing the mountainous component of Ivorá. In the foreground, the main church dedicated to St. Joseph, representing the people's Christian spirit The coat of arms also features products representing agriculture.
Municipal website

Monte Grappa is an isolated hill of 500 m in elevation, from which the territory of seven municipalities can be watched, up to 50 km. The inhabitants of Ivorá named it for a similar hill located in Italy, and consider it as "the symbol of the union between Ivorá ad Italy". Old colonists built atop the hill a cave to be used as a Marian sanctuary and as a shelter in case of destruction of their houses by a landslide. They subsequently built a chapel dedicated to the Virgin of the Guard, housing a statue brought from Italy in 1943.
Municipal website


Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020