Last modified: 2020-07-25 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | gaurama |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 18 July 2020
The municipality of Gaurama (5,940 inhabitants in 2014; 20,427 ha) is located
400 km north of Porto Alegre.
Gaurama emerged in 1907, as Barro colony, during the building of the São Paulo-Rio Grande railway by the Belgian Compagnie Auxiliaire des Chemins de Fer. The Land Commission initiated in 1910 urban planning of the new settlement, while most plots located around the railway station had already been built. Accordingly, and as opposed to several other municipalities, the railway station was the center of the town, which developed along the railway.
The old railway station, disbanded in 1997, was registered as municipal historical heritage by Municipal Law No. 2,164 promulgated in 1999. The Irmã Celina Schardong Museum, established by Municipal Law No. 1,417 promulgated in 1987, was transferred to the station in 2006, and inscribed on the National Register of Museum in 2013.
Rádio Comunidade FM Viadutos, 19 June 2016
Ivan Sache, 18 July 2020
The flag and arms of Gaurama are prescribed by Municipal Law
No. 857 promulgated on 23 August 1976.
The municipal flag of Gaurama, designed by the heraldist and vexillologist Arcinoé Antonio Peixoto de Faria, shall be quartered by a cross, with green quarters formed by white stripes of two units in width superimposed with red stripes of one unit, arranged horizontally and vertically and crossing at a distance of six units from the hoist, where their are superimposed by a white circle of eight units in circumference charged with the municipal coat of arms.
§1. In compliance with the Portuguese tradition, and its inherited canons and rules, municipal flags have to be divided in eight or six horizontal stripes, quartered or divided in three parts, featuring the same colors as the field of the coat of arms and in the center or at hoist a geometrical figure inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
§2. The municipal flag of Gaurama obeys this general rule, being quartered by a cross, symbolizing the people's Christian spirit. The coat of arms applied on the flag represents the municipal government while the white circle represents the town as the municipal seat; the circle is the heraldic symbol of eternity, as a geometric figure without either a beginning or a end. White is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, property, purity and religiosity. The white stripes charged with red stripes represent the spread of municipal power all over the territory. Red is a symbol of patriotic love, dedication, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance. The green quarters represent the rural estates scattered over the municipal territory. Green is a symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, glee, and abundance; green is also a symbol of hope, as greening fields in spring promising profuse harvests.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions adopted for the national flag, 14 units in width on 20 units in length.
The coat of arms of Gaurama, designed by the heraldist Arcinoé Antonio Peixoto de Faria,is described as follows:
A Samnite shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent ports gules, argent a mate shrub vert surrounded by two pigs affronty sable in base a serrated mountain vert superimposed to a fess wavy argent. The shield supported dexter and sinister by maize and wheat plants proper crossed in base and superimposed by a scroll gules containing in letters argent the toponym "GAURAMA" and the date "15-12-1954".
The coat of arms has the following symbolic interpretation:
a) The Samnite shield, used to represent the arms of Gaurama, was the first style of shield introduced to Portugal under French influence, inherited by the Brazilian heraldry to evoke the colonizing race and main builder of the nation;
b) The mural crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbol of coat of arms of domains; argent (silver) with eight towers, five visible in perspective, it classifies the town as of second rank or district seat. [...]
c) Argent (silver) is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling.
d) In the center a mate shrub vert (green), recalling the region's native product exported far from the municipality, therefore a main source of income for the municipality.
e) Surrounding the mate, pigs sable (black) representing the other source of income for the municipality, pig-breeding, which has a model farm installed by Frigorífico Ipiranga, providing noble races to the pig ranchers.
f) Sable (black) is a symbol of austerity, prudence, wisdom, moderation, and firmness.
g) In base, the shield's lower part, a serrated mountain vert (green) representing the mountains of Serra Geral where the municipality is located, and a fess wavy argent (white) representing Rio de Peixe, one of the most important rivers watering the municipality.
h) Vert (green) is a symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, glee and abundance; green also represents hope, as greening fields in spring promising profuse harvests.
i) The outer ornaments, wheat and maize, represent the main products of the generous and fertile soil.
j) On a scroll gules (red), a symbol of dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage, valiance in letters argent (silver) the identifying toponym "GAURAMA" surrounded by the date of political emancipation, "15-12-1954".
Ivan Sache, 18 July 2020