Last modified: 2020-07-14 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | cruzeiro do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 2
The municipality of Cruzeiro do Sul (12,320 inhabitants in 2010; 15,520 ha)
is located 130 km of Porto Alegre.
Cruzeiro do Sul was established, as São Gabriel de Estrela, by Laura Centeno de Azambuja (1800-1887), whose family owned the São Gabriel fazenda. As a reward for the safe return of her three sons from the Paraguayan War (1864-1870), Laura offered a plot for the erection of a chapel dedicated to Archangel St. Gabriel. Authorized by permission granted on 24 July 1883 by Sebastião Dias Laranjeira, Bishop of São Pedro de Rio Grande do Sul, the chapel was built at Laura's expenses. Laura Centeno de Azambuja passed away on 27 June 1887 and was interred in "her" chapel.
On 12 October 1892, the Azambuja family offered to the municipality of Lajeado plots to establish a square and public buildings. On 30 October 1892, Bishop Claudio José Ponce de Leo allowed the establishment of a cemetery on a plot offered by Primórdio Centeno Xavier de Azambuja. The new town was eventually designed by the land surveyor Giulherme H. Rochett.
São Gabriel de Estrela was elevated to the 6th district of Lajeado by Municipal Act No. 6 issued on 12 August 1922. To prevent confusion with the town of São Gabriel, the place was renamed to Cruzeiro do Sul (Southern Cross) by Decree No. 7,842 issued on 30 June 1939. Arbitrarily renamed to Setembrina, Cruzeiro do Sul reinstated its original name by Municipal Law No. 99 promulgated on 16 April 1949.
The municipality of Cruzeiro do Sul was established by State Law No. 4,615 promulgated on 22 November 1963, and inaugurated on 22 March 1964.
Ivan Sache, 14 July 2020
An ascending diagonal triband, blue-white-blue flag with the municipal arms in the centre.
Dirk Schönberger, 1 February 2012
The municipal coat of arms features the Southern Cross (Cruzeiro do Sul) and
the Morro House, built for Lieutenant-Colonel Primórdio Centeno Xavier de
Azambuja, the son of Laura and João Xavier Azambuja.
In 1872, returning from the Paraguayan War, Azambuja built an estate on river Taquari, close to a fig tree indicating the road to Mariante. One year later, the estate was damaged by a big flood of the river, which prompted Azambuja to move to the heights of the town. It took some five years to build the new houses.
Azambuja died on 15 May 1898, leaving in the house his widow Leocádia Villanova de Azambuja and their nine children. After 1914, the house was left uninhabited, attracting vandals in search of the treasures of the Azambuja family. Rumors spread that the house was indeed haunted by werewolves and ghosts, most probably to repel intruders.
Now owned by the municipality of Cruzeiro do Sul, the Morro House was incorporated to the municipal historical heritage by Municipal Decree No. 417-02 issued on 27 December 2006.
Ivan Sache, 14 July 2020