This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2020-07-14 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | canoas | cogwheel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Canoas, RS (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020
Image from the municipal website:

See also:


The municipality of Canoas (323,827 inhabitants, therefore the 3rd most populated municipality in Rio Grande do Sul; 13,110 ha) is located 20 km north of Porto Alegre.

Canoas was first settled in 1740 by Francisco Pinto Bandeira, who was granted a plot of 3 x 1 league on the right bank of river Gravataí. The domain was inherited in 1771 by his son, Rafael Ponto Bandeira; his widow, Josefa Eulália de Azevedo subsequently shared the domain among their sons.
Urban development started in 1871 with the inauguration of the first section of the railway connecting São Leopoldo and Porto Alegre. Canoas then belonged to the municipalities of Gravataí and São Sebastião do Caí. Major Vicente Ferrer da Silva Freire, owner of the Gravataí domain, took advantage of the new railway line to transform his domain into a summer resort called Capão das Canoas.
The 3rd Military Aviation Regiment (3º Regimento de Aviação Militar - RAV) was established in Canoas in 1937. The municipality of Canoas was established by State Decree No. 7,839 issued on 27 July 1939, and inaugurated on 15 January 1940.
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020


The flag of Canoas, adopted at some date between 24 November 1978 and 5 July 1979, is diagonally divided per bend green-red, charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms inscribed on a white disk bordered by a yellow cog wheel.
Municipal website


The coat of arms of Canoas is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 824 promulgated in 1963.

Article 1.
Portuguese shield, recalling the conquest and pioneering settlement of the territory of Canoas by Francisco Pinto Bandeira.
The shield horizontally divided in two parts, the upper (one third) featuring the sky bluish, representing the municipality's horizon, over a field landscape, light green, symbolizing the hills and plains of the municipal territory; also a rural landscape, symbolized by sea blue representing rivers Caí, Sinos and Gravataí watering the districts; in the landscape's center, over the liquid element and on the right border (at the viewer's left) three canoes ["canoas"] or, symbolizing those once produced in old Capão de Canoas, an historical fact at the origin of the municipality's name.
In the lower field, bottle green, a 16-cogged wheel or, symbolizing industry, charged in the center with the miniaturized image of a factory with three chimneys. Above the cog wheel, a winged helmet, also or, symbolizing commerce, evoking the panorama of industrialization and economic development that has been characterizing the municipality since its emancipation.
The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent with five towers, symbolizing Canoas as a "cidade" and its rank of municipal seat.
Beneath the shield a scroll reproducing the tricolor flag of Rio Grande do Sul, inscribed in the center with the name of Canoas in black letters on the red stripe. Beneath the town's name, on the yellow stripe, in black, the date of emancipation of the municipality, 27 July 1939 [not featured on the companion image]. On the scroll's ends, argent on red, the date of 14 April 1874, for the initiation of the urban settlement of Canoas, an historical fact revealed in the document "Origens de Canoias", authored by the historian João Palma da Silva.
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020