Last modified: 2020-07-14 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | caçapava do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020
The municipality of Caçapava do Sul (33,690 inhabitants in 2010; 30,471 ha)
is located 260 km of Porto Alegre.
Caçapava means in Tupi-Guarani "a clearing in the forest", "the end of the road in the forest" or "the end of the crossing of the mountain". A military post was established in 1777 in Paragem de Caçapava, the site of an old camp founded by the Charrua in a clearing.
Caçapava was granted the rank of "vila" on 25 October 1831 and of "cidade" by Law No. 1,535 promulgated on 9 December 1835.
Caçapava was from 9 January 1839 to 30 May 1840 the second capital of the Riograndense Republic established after the Ragamuffin Revolution. Located in a strategic place, it was, subsequently, the place of an arsenal and a garrison of the imperial army.
Fort Dom Pedro II is the only historic fortification kept until now in southern Brazil. Never completed and never garrisoned, the fort was transferred in 1938 to the Institute of National Historical and Artistic Heritage.
In March 2011, Caçapava joined the State Association of Historical Towns, which includes 13 town in Rio Grande do Sul.
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020
The flag of Caçapava do Sul is prescribed by Executive Decree No. 17 issued
on 31 May 1972, as a "transposition" of the coat of arms, that is, white with
the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Caçapava do Sul is described as follows.
Classical shield, divided per fess by a line gules; upper field or charged in the center with a liberty cap gules; lower field, vert.
Mural crown: copper composed of five fortified castles.
Scroll or, in parallel vert and gules, inscribed in Gothic letters "25 - X - Caçapava do Sul, 1831".
Historical and heraldic rationale.
1. The coat of arms of Caçapava do Sul features a classical shield, inherited by Brazilian municipal heraldry to evoke Brazil's constituting race with Portuguese as primordial ethnic component.
2. The colors of the field are or (yellow) and vert (green).
The upper field is or (yellow), a metal that means, among other virtues, power, nobleness, force, wealth [...].
The lower field, vert (green) symbolizes the virtues of hope and faith, victory and honor, [summarized] in the motto "Caçapava does not surrender". It also recalls the greening fields where the town was established.
Yellow and green maintain forever the national colors.
3. The main charge, the liberty cap gules on or, synthesizes the emblem of republican governments, as the emblem of liberty. It was adopted by the French republicans during the First Republic. Red symbolically means discord and revolution, passion and indomitable love for the conquest of an ideal; it also recalls the elevated proposals pushed by the Riograndense Republic, which had it seat in Caçapava.
Accordingly, the coat of arms of Caçapava do Sul alludes to its most expressive people's movement: the contribution to the Ragamuffin Revolution, initiated by discord. The discord originated in the unfair treatment of the glorious state of Rio Grande do Sul by the central power, but it remained legal and pacific; the revolution was legitimate, democratic, respectful of the law, placed on the altar of conscience and commitment for the emerging Riograndense Republic. The motto - Liberty, Equality and Humanity - recalls, in parallel, the republican propaganda of the time, with extraordinary consequences for the whole country.
4. The copper mural crown, a symbol of independence and municipal autonomy; its five fortified, tower-shaped castles recall a fortified town, a fortress and Fort Dom Pedro II, which appears on the arms more as an ornament than a proper symbol.
5. The scroll or, bordered vert (green) and gules (red), features the town's name in Gothic letters and the writing "25 - X - Caçapava do Sul, 1831", the date of political emancipation of the municipality of Caçapava do Sul and the link between the municipality and the Ragamuffin Revolution.
The colors of the scroll - vert, or and gules - maintains a close connection with the flag of Rio Grande do Sul.
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020
The flag and arms of the Corps of Volunteer Firefighters of Caçapava do Sul
are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,173 promulgated on 11 July 2000.
The coat of arms of the Corps of Volunteer Firefighters of Caçapava do Sul is described as follows:
Official municipal coat of arms, with the following modifications: two hatchets crossed (in black). Instead of the liberty cap, a firefighter's helmet of the same color, instead of the scroll, a firefighter's hose with two points, in black, superimposed, in white, by the letters "SCCBVCS" and the date of foundation, "18-08-1996", in the upper part the writing, in a semi-circular pattern, "BOMBEIROS VOLONTARIOS" (in red) and in base "CAÇAPAVA DO SUL".
The flag of the Corps of Volunteer Firefighters of Caçapava do Sul is described as follows:
A rectangle of white cloth with the coat of arms set up on both sides, as prescribed in the previous Article, centered, in various legal dimensions.
The flag of the corporation shall be hoisted daily on the headquarters of the Corps of Volunteer Firefighters and shall be used in all the municipal festivals, incorporated to the Corporation's Flag Guard.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2020