Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | taquari |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020
The municipality of Taquari (27,128 inhabitants in 2015; 35,000 ha) is
located 100 km of Porto Alegre.
Taquari was established in 1764 by Azorean colonists, being one of the oldest towns in Rio Grande do Sul. The municipality of Taquari was established on 4 July 1849.
Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020
http://www.pelegobranco.taquari.com/fotos.htm we can see a number of
photos about "Pelego Branco" Association's activities, keeping alive (parts
of) the traditional life-style of south Brazilian cowboys. The fifth photo down was
taken inside the communal "gatherhouse" and shows in the foreground the local
town's flag; visible in the background the flags of Rio Grande do Sul state, of
Brazil and something else, white with lettering; these flags are hoisted in
slanted poles attached from the walls.
The Taquarí town flag is a horizontal triband of blue, yellow and green with the local coat of arms' shield and crown inside the yellow stripe and its scroll (red with white letters) on the green stripe. This coat of arms can be seen at http://www.camarataquari.com.br/; using this image I made the image above.
The page http://www.pelegobranco.taquari.com/fotos.htm includes also a number of historical photos (second half of the 20th century?) showing the use of national and state flags in horse riders cowboy parades.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 14 November 2005
The coat of arms of Taquari is prescribed by Municipal Law No.768 promulgated
on 29 November 1968.
A Portuguese shield divided per pale and grafted in base. Dexter, on a field argent an orange tree proper fructed or, representing one of the municipality's sources of income. Sinister, on a field azure (blue) a fleur-de-lis argent slipped or, as the symbol of St. Joseph, the town and municipality's patron saint. In base, on a field vert (green), a star argent, recalling the soldiers born in the municipality, as well as the historic fighting fought in the town and the neighborhood since the Ragamuffin Revolution. Below, river Taquari wavy argent, carrying the historic "lanchão" that brought the Azorean founders of the town.
A scroll gules (red) inscribed argent "1764 Taquari 1845". The shield surmounted by a four-towered crown or, as the symbol of a municipal seat. The colors, also the national and Riograndense colors, mean: blue, a symbol of nobleness, majesty, serenity and beauty; green, hope in a better future, abundance and freedom; red, valor, intrepidity, valorous soul, dedicated spirit, work; argent, fairness, pure, good and entrepreneurial spirit; or, force and constancy; all symbolizing Taquari people, land and sky.
Leis Municipais database
The flag also exists with a larger central stripe.
Image by Jonatha Martins Cardoso, wikimedia Commons
Ivan Sache, 7 August 2020