Last modified: 2012-03-26 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio de janeiro | iguaba grande |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Dirk Schönberger,
15 October 2011
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 15 October 2011
The municipality of Iguaba Grande (22,858 inhabitants in 2010; 32 sq. km) is located in south central Rio de Janeiro State, 125 km of Rio de Janeiro. Located near the Araruama Laguna, the town is self-styled "The Little Princess of the Lake District". Iguaba Grande, named for a Tupi-Guarani word meaning "the place with much water", developed around a chapel built in 1761 by the Jesuit father Francisco Borges.
The coat of arms represents 1. The presence of the natives, 2. The
influence of the Jesuits, 3. Salterns, 4. The Oyster Mill, and in
base, fishing and imperial palm groves. The shield is surrounded by
local bromeliads and orchids. The scroll is inscribed with the years
of establishment of the district (1954) and of emancipation (1995).
Ivan Sache, 12 March 2012