Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | rio negro |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Rio Negro (33,9232 inhabitants in 2018; 60,325 ha) is
located on the border with Santa Catarina, 100 km south of Curitiba.
Rio Negro emerged as a tropeiros' camp established on the historic road connecting Viamão (Rio Grande do Sul) and Sorocaba (São Paulo). Due to the bad state of the road, tropeiros asked King John VI to build a brand new road connecting Vila do Príncipe (Lapa) to Paraná and Lages (Santa Catarina).
The building of the road was initiated in 1826 by João da Silva Machado, Baron of Antonina, who also established a small settlement; on 6 February 1829, 20 German families (108 people) coming from Trier settled the place, being Paraná's first German immigrants. In 1887 and 1888, another group of 336 Germans from Bucovine settled the place, being the first and only wave of Bucovine immigration to Brazil. In 1890, Rio Negro welcomes a big group of Polish immigrants, who settled the Lucena colony. In the aftermath of the Contestado War 1912-1916), Black River was fixed as the border between Paraná and Santa Catarina. The part of the territory of Rio Negro incorporated to Santa Catarina formed the municipality of Itaiópolis.
Diário de Rio Mafra
The flag and arms of Rio Negro are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 168 promulgated on 3 December 1974.
The municipal Flag of Rio Negro shall be white with a border vert, and the coat of arms of the municipality of Rio Negro, having above it the inscription in black "Rio Negro" and below "State of Paraná".
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions prescribed for the national flag, 14 units in width on 20 units in length.
The coat of arms of Rio Negro is described in proper terms as follows.
A rounded-off Portuguese shield surmounted by a mural castle argent with eight crenellated towers and doors. On a field vert a white bend charged in canton with a pine tree surrounded by a tobacco plant and a yerba mate plant.
In the far left corner a lion purpure holding a catechism in the claws and a a golden axe on the shoulders.
In the upper left canton, the arms of the Empire of Brazil and in the lower right one, those of Prussia. On a scroll gules the words "Work, Faith and Perseverance".
The shield shall be designed in accordance with heraldic norms, that is, 6 units in length on 5 units in width.
The coat of arms shall have the following symbolic interpretation.
a) The shield used to represent the arms of Rio Negro was the first style of shield introduced in Portugal, by French influence, inherited by Brazilian heraldry as evocative of the colonizing race and main builder of the nation.
b) The lion purpure holding a catechism in the claws and a golden axe on the shoulders represents the coat of arms of the patriarch of Rio Negro, João da Silva Machado, Baron of Antonina.
c) The arms of Prussia recall the first settlers who arrived here in 1829.
d) The arms of the Empire of Brazil emphasize national unity.
e) Yerba mate, tobacco and pine represent the agricultural resources of the municipality.
f) The scroll conveys the idea of man's dignified work and faith in the unshakable belief of the inhabitants in their prosperous future, and perseverance, which represents the sum of the first two terms.
Leis Municipais database
Image from the website of the Municipal Chamber
Ivan Sache, 7 February 2022