This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Rio Bom, Paraná (Brazil)

Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | rio bom |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Rio Bom (Paraná), PR (Brazil)] image by Ivan Sache, 7 February 2022
See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Rio Bom (3,226 inhabitants in 2018; 17,784 ha) is located 375 km north-west of Curitiba.

Rio Bom was established in 1945 by the Rio Bom colonizing company. The first settlers were the Pāntano, Schellworth and Andrade families.
The district of Rio Bom was established, within the municipality of Apucarana, by State Law No. 2 promulgated on 11 October 1947, to be elevated a municipality by State Law No. 790 promulgated in 1951. The seat of the municipality was transferred to Catugí on 13 June 1953 and Rio Bom was transferred to the municipality of Araruva (today, Marilāndia do Sul). The municipality of Rio Bom was eventually re-established by State Law No. 4,859 promulgated on 28 April 1964 and inaugurated on 13 December 1964.
Municipal website

The flag of Rio Bom was created by heraldist and vexillologist Reynaldo Valascki, without a specified date. The flag has official dimensions in accordance with the Portuguese heraldry rules, like the national flag, 14 units in width on 20 units in length. The colors are described as follows:
Blue symbolizes and represents the infinite sky, which covers the territory of the municipality of Rio Bom and the greatness of the rural areas that exist therein.
Yellow (gold) represents and symbolizes the resources existing in the municipal territory.
White (silver) symbolizes peace, tranquility, greatness and religious spirit in the municipality.
Green represents and symbolizes extended grain cropping, resources in agriculture and the green municipal meadows.
At the center of the flag, the coat of arms of the municipality symbolizes the irradiation of municipal power that expands to all parts of the territory of the municipality of Rio Bom.

The coat of arms used to represent the municipality of Rio Bom has a French origin; introduced in the Iberian Peninsula during the struggles against the Moors, it now appears in Portuguese armorials, notably in domains' heraldry, this style being inherited in the Brazilian heraldry, as evocative of the colonizing race and main builder of our nationality.
The mural crown that surmounts the shield is the universal symbol of domains; yellow (gold) with eight towers, only five of them visible in perspective view, it classifies a 3rd rank town, that is, the seat of a municipality. The red (gules) openings, after the meaning of this color in heraldry, are consistent with the attributes of pioneers, explorers and community leaders. The yellow (gold) mural crown is the symbol of glory, splendor, greatness, wealth and sovereignty. Black (sable) symbolizes prudence, moderation, austerity and firmness. On top of the shield, right in the middle, a yellow (gold) crown symbolizes the municipality's patron saint Our Lady of the Apparition, which represents the faith and religious spirit of its people and of all who visit the town.
The first, left (sinister) quarter features symbols of culture and education in the municipality, which are the main goals of the municipality's community: a book on a table, a terrestrial globe, a map of Brazil, an inkwell and a pen,
The second quarter features a countryman in his daily work in the rich agriculture. The center of the field is brown, which symbolizes the fertility of the land, charged with a sinuous blue stripe, which symbolizes the river with the same name as the municipality.
Below the stripe the left (sinister) quarter features the beautiful green (vert) meadows and a cattle's head, which symbolizes livestock that is predominant in the municipality.
The right quarter below the central stripe features the mountainous parts and the applied technique of grain cropping in slopes.
Above the scroll and below the coat of arms, two maize ears.

The red scroll (a color that symbolizes patriotic love, intrepidity, courage and valiance) features in the center the name of the municipality, surrounded by dates "04-28-1964", creation of the municipality on the left, and "28-04-1985", institution and creation of the symbols, flag and coat of arms by the current executive and legislative powers, on the right.
Municipal website


Ivan Sache, 7 February 2022