This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Araripina, Pernambuco (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-03-23 by ian macdonald
Keywords: pernambuco | araripina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Araripina, PE (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 28 April 2011

See also:

About the Flag

Diagonally divided by a west-north green diagonal stripe, blue over yellow, with a municipal emblem centred.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 27 April 2011

The municipality of Araripina (77,794 inhabitants in 2010; 1,847 sq. km) is located in the north-western corner of Pernambuco, on the border with Ceará and Piauí, 700 km of Recife. Araripina is the Brazilian capital of gypsum, with 95% of the national reserves in the neighborhood.

The flag of Araripina, designed by Francisco Alves de Sousa, is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,345 of 31 July 1978. The white disc represents peace. The superimposed disks represent the districts. The emblem is surrounded by maize and cassava plants, representing the local vegetable resources. The years "1909" and "1926" inscribed on the scroll are the years of establishment of the town as a "vila" and a "cidade", respectively.

Ivan Sache, 4 March 2012