This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Guarapari, Espírito Santo (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-07-20 by ian macdonald
Keywords: espírito santo | guarapari |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Guarapari, ES (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 21 January 2012

based on  

See also:

About the Flag

Dark blue over red, a white triangle extending from the hoist, on the triangle the municipal arms.

Official website at The flag is shown on Wikipedia at

Dirk Schönberger, 25 March 2010

The municipality of Guarapari (104,534 inhabitants in 2009; 592 sq. km) is located in southern Espírito Santo, 50 km south of Vitória. The municipality, part of Greater Vitória, is made of the town of Guarapari proper and of the rural districts of Rio Calçado and Todos os Santos (Law No. 779, December 1953).

Guarapari was founded by Francisco Gil de Araújo, who built a church in 1677 and founded the "vila" in 1679. The settlement was successively named Vila dos Jesuítas, Aldeia de Nossa Senhora, Aldeia de Santa Maria de Guaraparim, Guaraparim, Goaraparim, and, eventually, Guarapari. The municipality was officially established by State Decree on 29 February 1948. Guarapari is named for the Tupi words "guara", "a scarlet ibis", and "pari", "a net", probably referring to a place where the natives used to capture those birds with nets.

The coat of arms was slightly redesigned in 2008. The first coat of arms of Guarapari is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 484, adopted in 1968. The shield is surmounted by a five-towered mural crown or. The shield is of Portuguese Flemish Iberic shape, with the upper field or - representing the resources of the soil -, charged with a scarlet ibis ["guará"] - the namesake of the municipality, looking sinister, standing on a terrace azure - representing the blue sea. The shield is supported dexter by a branch of coffee fructed and sinister by a branch of cassava, the two proper, representing the main products of the inner part of the municipality. A scroll azure ending with swallow tails is placed under the shield, inscribed with the Latin motto "PER ORAS SANATUR" (Saved from the sea), flanked dexter with "GUARAPARI" and sinister with "1969", all the writings or.

In 2007/2008, the Municipal Council, when updating the municipal legislation, found that the coat of arms did not comply with the Federal Law on the municipal coat of arms. Three months later, the amended coat of arms was prescribed by Municipal Law No. 2,889 as follows.
"Portuguese Flemish iberic shield with the upper part rectilinear and the lower part curvilinear, recalling the Portuguese origin and colonization, the main element of formation of the Brazilian nationality, outlined in sable, per fess with, predominantly, the metal or, charged with natural elements. On the left part of the shield is represented the mangrove vegetation, illustrated in natural colors. On the right part of the shield is represented the sea with a beach and a mountain, illustrating the natural beauty of Guarapari. In the middle of the shield is the emblematic element of the local culture, the scarlet ibis, watching, with confidence, the future of Guarapari. A five-towered mural crown, argent [...]
A scroll (azure stripe) [described here as in the previous blazon]. In the points the chronologic abbreviations "11-05-1891" - the date of political emancipation, and "28-12-1948" - the date of establishment of the Municipal Council; both or. The shield flanked by a branch of coffee and a branch of banana.

To summarize, the new coat of arms shows a landscape, while the old one stuck to the principles of western European heraldry, with the use of generic elements; the bird looks now dexter instead of sinister, the crown is argent instead of or, the name of the municipality is omitted and new dates have been added added. The cassava branch is replaced by a banana branch.

The flag was amended accordingly, although no legal text is mentioned.

Ivan Sache, 21 January 2012

Former flag

Guarapari, ES (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 24 March 2010
based on