Last modified: 2021-12-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: río cuarto department | córdoba province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 23 May 2017
The municipality of Río Cuarto (155,991 inhabitants in 2008, therefore
the 2nd most populous town in the province; 64.25 sq. km) is located
in southern Córdoba Province, 220 km of Córdoba. The town is watered
by the river of the same name, also known as Chocancharava.
Río Cuarto was founded on 11 November 1786, as Concepción del Río Cuarto (according to the Municipal Constitution, the longer name has the same official status as the shorter one), by Marquis Rafael de Sobremonte, Governor of Córdoba, and granted the title of Royal Town on 12 April 1797. A peace treaty signed with cacique Carriplum allowed the town to develop peacefully until 1820.
The Command of the Córdoba South Border was established in Río Cuarto in 1832. The railway station, inaugurated 1875 allowed access to the ports of Rosario and Buenos Aires, boosting the economic development of the town.
The Río Cuarto National College, founded in 1912, was transformed in 1971 into the Río Cuarto National University.
The flag of Río Cuarto, designed by Marcelo Babini, is prescribed by Municipal Ordinance No. 777 of 9 November 2005.
The flag is horizontally divided green-white by a thin wavy blue line of height 1/13 of the flag's hoist. In canton is placed an historical livestock brand, in proportions 3:4.
The blue wavy line represents the river and its meanders, the origin of the town.
The green stripe represents the humid plains, the base of the regional economy.
The white field represents peace, spirituality, religious feeling, and life.
The emblem represents the livestock brand of the Command of the Córdoba South Border, used in 1820 and preserved in the Córdoba Provincial Archives. The brand is canting, being made of letter "R" and numeral "4" - Río Cuarto (lit., 4th River) was named so by the Spanish explorers since it was the fourth river they found in Córdoba Province.
The flag was selected in a public contest, among 766 proposals. The flag was hoisted for the first time on 11 November 2005.
Ivan Sache, 11 Aug 2013