Last modified: 2021-12-23 by rob raeside
Keywords: punilla department | córdoba province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of San Antonio de Arredondo (3,653 inhabitants in 2010) is
located 10 km south of Villa Carlos Paz and 50 km south-west of Córdoba.
The municipality is named for Antonio de Arredondo, who acquired the San Antonio farm on 23 May 1796, in the aftermath of the expelling of the Jesuits ordered in 1767. The owner built an oratory with permission of Angel Mariano Moscoso Pérez de Oblitas (1732-1804), Bishop of Córdoba (1789-1804). Partially ruined by inclement weather and looting, the oratory was abandoned in the middle of the 19th century.
After Antonio de Arredondo's death on 22 September 1819, his estate was divided among his heirs. One of his grandsons, Raimundo Arredondo, sold on 17 April 1885 the Las Rosas domain (232 ha) to Juan Capistrano Tissera (1825-1886), later Bishop of Córdoba (1884-1886), and his brothers, Fabián, Francisco and Tránsito.
The bishop died on 20 September 1886; fulfilling his last will, his brothers offered La Rosas to the St. Francis Convent in Córdoba. A small settlement emerged during the erection of the chapel in 1891-1892 (see below).
Capillas y Templos
The flag of San Antonio de Arredondo, prescribed by Provincial Resolution No. 474, was unveiled on 3 February 2018 and inaugurated (after official registration) on 5 June 2018.
Carlo Paz Vivo!, 3 February 2018
La Jornada, 12 February 2018
La Jornada, 11 June 2018
The flag features the mountains, river San Antonio, the green autochthonous vegetation, a condor representing the local fauna, the sun, the chapel erected in 1891-1892, and the "Gaucho priest", St. Jose Gabriel del Rosario Brochero (1840-1912; canonized on 16 October 2016 by Pope Francis - therefore the first genuine Argentine saint canonized by the first Argentine pope), represented riding his mule "Malacara" and wearing a poncho and a sombrero. San Antonio de Arredondo is located on the Way of Brochero - inspired by the Way of Saint James - which follows the route used 140 years ago by the mule-riding priest to go from Córdoba to Villa Cura Brochero (at the time, Villa del Tránsito).
The chapel dedicated to St. Anthony was erected in 1891-1892. Friar Estanislao Ledesma and Reverend Father Juan Vicente Funes, in charge of the project, commissioned the mason Sotero López to build the sanctuary. The cornerstone was laid down on 5 April 1891 by Zenón Bustos y Ferreyra (1850-1925), Warden of the Order of St. Francis. At the same time, Funes toured the region to collect funds. The chapel was blessed on 6 January 1892 by Priest Aquilino Ferreira, Governor of the Diocese, in the name of Bishop Reginaldo Toro (1888-1904). The dedication sermon was delivered by Father Benito Perez. On 22 April 1906, Zenón Bustos, then Bishop of Córdoba (1905-1925), offered "fifty days of indulgence to all faithful who would pronounce a Salve in front of the Holy Virgon of the Valley for the preservation of Catholic faith".
Built in 19th century Italian style, the chapel is composed of a single nave of more than 15 m in length and 9.5 m in width. Year "1891" is inscribed on the triangular pediment placed above the gate, which is flanked by two plane pilastres. An oculus is placed in the facade above the pediment. The building is topped by a cornice running all around it. The facade is surmounted by three baroque ornaments, the central one being ensigned by an iron cross. The bell-tower is located on the left side of the facade, with a pyramidal roof and two spheres on each side. The three bells, the central much smaller, are supported by an horizontal iron beam. The chapel is accessed by stairs heading to an atrium delimited by gates and columns. The altar, offered by the Franciscan church of Córdoba, is of nearly 10 m in height.
Capillas y Templos
Ivan Sache, 11 October 2019