Last modified: 2025-04-05 by olivier touzeau
Keywords: wallis and futuna | uvea | france | maltese cross | canton |
Links: FOTW homepage |
search |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
mirrors
See also:
Numerous variations have been reported concerning the red flag with white cross of Uvéa in use since the middle of the 19th century to the 20th century, varying with the size, shape and position of the cross, the size and position of the French tricolore which has been definitely added in 1910. This flag has gradualy becom the flag of Wallis and Futuna.
Some of the flags presented on this page were drawn after only one secondary source, and the accuracy of their design remains unconfirmed.
Olivier Touzeau, 30 March 2025
Flag of Uvéa adopted in 1842
left, after local sources - by Olivier Touzeau, 29 March 2025
right, after an image reported in Franciae Vexilla - by Ivan Sache, 29 June 1999
Several historical elements are gathered on the French Wikipedia
article on the subject:
"Created by Father Bataillon (Marist missionary) (source: Jean-Claude
Roux, Wallis et Futuna : Espaces et temps recomposés. Chroniques d'une micro-insularité, Talence, Presses universitaires de Bordeaux, 1995, 404 p. - online copy),
the flag was recognized by the ship's commander Mallet during his
visit to Wallis in 1842. A trade and police regulation signed between
Commander Mallet and Lavelua (King of 'Uvea) states: "We, the King of
Wallis, and the chiefs meeting in council, have adopted as its color
the white flag, on the sides of which will be four crosses, two blue
and two red, arranged diagonally and in the center MW (interlaced)"
(source: Frédéric Angleviel, Les missions à Wallis et Futuna in the
19th century, Bordeaux, Tropical Spaces Research Center of the Michel
de Montaigne University (Bordeaux III), 1994, 243 p., p. 80-82). For
Jean-Claude Roux, M and W mean "Marie Wallis"."
They are in fact the
letters A and M crossed, as on the coat of arms of the Marist Fathers
(source: history of the flag in an exhibition carried out by high
school students from Malae, and reported in 2011 on the blog by "Ehran":
"The religious symbolism is triumphant on this flag, through these
four crosses and this Ave Maria (AM and not MW) in the center. The
influence of the congregation of the Marist brothers with Father
Bataillon on the island of Wallis (and to which also belonged Father
Chanel who died on the island of Futuna) is obvious, and it's even
likely that it was designed by religious figures. Pierre Chanel's
motto was "To love Mary and to make her loved," and Marian worship,
particularly developed among Catholics, is at the center of the
Wallisian emblem.
According to the book L'Eglise catholique à Wallis-et-Futuna (1837-2004), by Georges Delbos,
CEPAC ed. 2004, 328 p. [online copy]:
"In 1842 [...] among other treaties concluded that year between Lieutenant Mallet, commander of L'Embuscade, on the one hand, and the Lavelua, on the other hand, the king and the chiefs of Wallis adopted, as their national flag, on November 4, 1842, the white flag with four crosses and, in the center, the cypher of the Virgin. "We, the King of Wallis, and the chiefs assembled in Council, have adopted white as the color of the flag, on the side of which will be arranged four crosses: two blue, two red, arranged diagonally, and in the center, interlaced A.M. (according to the quoted note, instead of the interlaced MW mentioned in the original, one should write A.M. and read AVE MARIA).
In the Protectorate Treaty, signed on November 19, 1886, between Queen Amelia and the representative of the French government, it is formally stipulated that the flag of Wallis must have in the canton the [French] national emblem, without it being described. Hence the question: When did the substitution take place? It is clear that the first flag of 1842 was of Marist inspiration: the crosses, the Marian monogram, the context of the total conversion of the island at that date, and the temperament of Father Bataillon all point in this direction."
The drawing of the 1842 flag of Wallis in this book shows that the
crosses in the corners are thin christian crosses, and not swiss
crosses as on the drawing by
Lucien Philippe in Franciae Vexilla.
The design on the 2011 blog by "Ehran" (source) after a local exhibition carried out by high
school students from Malae,
shows the red crosses at the upper hoist and lower fly.
This image and the aforementioned description does not give blue and red color to the cypher
in the middle of the flag. I have redrawn the flag with a monochrome cypher.
Olivier Touzeau, 29 March 2025
According to Lucien Philippe 1999 [text between brackets are my own comments]:
The first flag is a white field with the image of the Blessed Virgin. It was created in 1840 by the Marist Father Bataillon and given to a chief who had been converted to the Catholic religion. The second flag is a white field with a [Greek] cross in each corner (respectively blue, red, red and blue) and in the middle the monogram of the Blessed Virgin (red A superimposed on a blue M). It was adopted on 4 November 1842 during the ratification of a protectorate treaty between the King of Uvea and Captain Mallet, commander of the warship L'Embuscade ["Ambush"], in the presence of Father Bataillon. France did not recognize this treaty.
The Flags of Paradise 1996 chart represents a similar flag (the only difference is in cross size and colours: blue, red, blue, red) attributed to Tongatapu c.1858-1862. Error, coincidence, filiation?
Ivan Sache, 29 June 1999
Rise of the red flag with white cross, end of the XIXth century
Reported royal flags in Uvéa XIXth century - Images by Ivan Sache, 29 June 1999
left, reported Standard of King I P Lavetura (1837-1858): Red field with a large white cross. Source: Flags of Paradise 1996 chart.
right, reported Standard of Queen Amelia (1858-c.1887): White field with a red border and a red saltire (in contradiction to what is said elsewhere in this page). Source: Flags of Paradise 1996 chart.
Ivan Sache, 29 June 1999
Only the cross pattée flag (left) seems to have bee in use, the saltire. However, it could not be in use before the 1842 flag.
Concerning the reported saltire flag (right),
I
conjecture that this representation is a misinterpretation influenced by the design of the de facto modern flag of Wallis and Futuna. All the original documents talk about a "white cross".
In a broadcast by the local public television channel, Wallis and Futuna 1re [source to be taken with caution, beacause of several oversimplified elements], it is reported that : "It was towards the end of the 19th century that the ancestor of the current flag appeared, still derived from a Marist banner, the red background with the cross of Saint Andrew in white" [NB : the cross of saint-Andrew has nothing to do with marist symbols, and the mentioned white cross is probably the cross pattée]. It was not until 1910, some twenty years after the French protectorate, that the French colors were integrated into the Marist flag."
Jean-Claude Roux, in Espaces coloniaux et société polynésienne de Wallis et Futuna, Livre 1 Chroniques du quotidien colonial 1888-1925 ORSTOM June 1984 (online copy) explains:
"The original flag of Uvéa, designed by the Marists, was that of the 'Virgin Mary,' then it was changed to feature the Maltese Cross (in white) on a scarlet background. After 1888, it was 'quartered' from the national flag of France, but apparently did not see official use until 1910." (p. 111)
These elements argue for the non-existence in Uvéa of a flag with a red saltire on a white background as shown in the Flags of Paradise 1996 chart.
Olivier Touzeau, 28 & 30 March 2025
Reported defaced Tricolore flags in Uvéa, resp. 1860 and 1912
left, 1860, after an image reported in Franciae Vexilla - by Ivan Sache, 29 June 1999
right, 1912, after a local exhibition - by Olivier Touzeau, 28 March 2025
According to Lucien Philippe 1999, "In 1860, a third flag was seen in Wallis. Father Poupinel wrote: "We have been spotted. The French ensign with a red cross in the middle of the white part had made us recognized"."
Ivan Sache, 29 June 1999
An article about the history of the flag of Wallis on the blog by "Ehran", date 24 July 2011, and written after a local exhibition made by Junior high school pupils from Malae, reports:
"The second Wallisian flag is the French flag, to which the traditional
authorities added a small Maltese cross in the top left corner. The
presence of this religious symbol displeased Resident Brochard, the
French representative in the protectorate. He informed the king of
this by letter in 1912, the Lavelua Patita Lavuia, and asked him to
correct the national flag. According to G. Pilioko, head of the
cultural action department of Wallis and Futuna in 2001, the current
Wallisian flag was born following this 'Brochard affair'."
Olivier Touzeau, 28 March 2025
Uvéa flag with tricolore canton, ca. 1886/1910
Uvéa (Wallis) flag with French tricolore in canton, ca. 1886 or 1910 - Image by Ivan Sache, 29 June 1999
The former flag of Uvéa was red with a white cross (similar to the cross of Malta, several shapes of it are known), basically the current unofficial flag of the territory. When the French protectorate was established, the tricolour was added to the canton.
Jaume Ollé, 22 March 1998
According to Lucien Philippe 1999, "On 19 November 1886, the Queen of Uvea signed a new protectorate treaty. The Queen (Lavelua) Amelia added to her standard the French colours in canton."
"In November 1887, Father Bouzigue wrote: "The Queen and her Prime Minister have thanked France represented by Commandant Benier and the flag of Wallis quartered with the French flag was hoisted". This ensign appears in a document from 1895. La Bruyère wrote in 1928: "... on the right of the Royal Residence, a pole bears the red flag with the tricolour flag at hoist and the white cross at fly, as symbol of the all-powerful Christian mission."
Ivan Sache, 29 June 1999
According to Znamierowski 1999:
Originally a red flag with a white cross pattée was used in the 19th century in Uvea. The cross was introduced by the first Marist Brothers, the French missionaries who established the missions. When, in 1886, the Queen of Wallis accepted the French Protectorate it was agreed to charge the canton with the French Tricolore.
Jarig Bakker, 4 July 2000
According to the book L'Eglise catholique à Wallis-et-Futuna (1837-2004), by Georges Delbos,
CEPAC ed. 2004, 328 p. [online copy] p. 324 Annex #6:
"According to a Note from the Territorial Service of
Cultural Affairs dated February 27, 2001 -
In the Protectorate Treaty, signed on November 19, 1886, between Queen Amelia and the representative of the French government, it is formally stipulated that the flag of Wallis must have in the canton the [French] national emblem, without it being described."
Olivier Touzeau, 28 March 2025
Jean-Claude
Roux, in his thesis Espaces coloniaux et société polynésienne de Wallis et Futuna, 1991, 1090 p. - online copy), reports this scene in 1910:
"Left alone, the fifty or so chiefs and notables shut themselves away to deliberate with "calm and dignity.' The result was the definitive deposition of Tokila and the confirmation of Patita Lavina's election! ... While the jubilation was general, it was likely not shared by the French officials... Thus, the governor intended to immediately make amendments to the protectorate treaty. The king saw his powers limited by the new prerogatives of the resident, who convened the Council, had the right to review all internal matters of public interest, and finally, the Wallisian flag (red background with a white Marist cross) was quartered with the French colors."
The same author, Jean-Claude Roux, in the previous work Espaces coloniaux et société polynésienne de Wallis et Futuna, Livre 1 Chroniques du quotidien colonial 1888-1925 ORSTOM June 1984 (online copy) explains:
"The original flag of Uvéa, designed by the Marists, was that of the 'Virgin Mary,' then it was changed to feature the Maltese Cross (in white) on a scarlet background. After 1888, it was 'quartered' from the national flag of France, but apparently did not see official use until 1910." (p. 111)
This photo is included p.77 : Wallis 1900. Reception of the captain of the aviso at the Royal Palace. A highly symbolic scene of the colonial ritual that was established for naval visits. The officer in full dress awaits the King's arrival. The Uvéa flag, designed by the Marists, flutters in the breeze. The three powers of Wallis of yesteryear are symbolized here. (De Myrica Collection).
All we can conclude from this picture is that in 1900 the flag in use in Wallis was not white. An elements is placed on the center of the flag, and a kind of defacement can observed in the lower hoist.
Olivier Touzeau, 30 March 2025
Image by Ivan Sache, 29 June 1999
According to the Flags of Paradise 1996 chart: 1887-1910, [reported] standard of Queen Amelia with a larger red border and French tricolour in canton, but separated from flag edges by a red border (in contradiction to what is said elsewhere in this page).
Ivan Sache, 29 June 1999
Flag of Uvéa after 1910 - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 28 March 2025
White cross on a red field with French tricolour in canton, fimbriated in white on lower and right sides. Cross shifted to flag basis. Source: Flags of Paradise 1996 chart.
Ivan Sache, 29 June 1999
The flag of Uvéa was also considered de facto as the flag of the protectorate of Wallis-and-Futuna. At some point probably in the 1980ies, the kingdoms flags in Wallis and Futuna were standardized with small tricolore flags not touching the edges. However, in 2023, a flag with the Tricolore in the canton, touching the edges of the upper hoist, oculd beobseved in front of the royal palace in Uvéa.
Olivier Touzeau, 30 March 2025