This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Von Ormy, Texas (U.S.)

Bexar County

Last modified: 2020-05-30 by rick wyatt
Keywords: von ormy | texas | bexar county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Von Ormy, Texas] image located by Valentin Poposki, 21 June 2008

See also:

Description of the flag

"The flag was adopted by CIVO for use as a provisional Von Ormy Flag. The left 1/3 is a blue field with a white star with the letters T-E-X-A-S interlaced between the points of the star. This design was borrowed from the [supposed] first provisional flag of the Republic of Texas designed by Lorenzo de Zavala. This memorializes those brave Von Ormians who have fought for liberty from the time of the Texas War for Independence to the present day. The right 2/3 is a white field with a Prussian Double Headed Eagle. The white field represents purity, innocence and trust, and memorializes our insistence that the government we are forming is for the benefit of all and not the profit of a few. The Prussian eagle is in honor of Count Norbert Von Ormay, our community's namesake. It is double headed to represent our community's dual heritage: American and Mexican, since both counties use the eagle as a symbol of their nation. The eagle holds a sword to remind us that freedom comes at the price of being forever vigilant to defend it. The banner above the eagle says "Von Ormy, Texas". The banner below says "Libertas, Fides et Familia" meaning "Liberty, Faith and Family". The flag was designed by Art Martinez de Vara and is available for purchase from the Dixie Flag Company in San Antonio, TX."
Valentin Poposki, 21 June 2008

The City

The City of Von Ormy was incorporated on 30th May 2008. About the city:

"Von Ormy, Texas is located in southwest Bexar County. The historic town center today lies near I-35 and Benton City Road. During the Spanish colonial era, Von Ormy sprang up along the natural crossing point of the Medina River on the Camino Real between San Antonio and Saltillo. Von Ormy was known then as "Paso de las Garza's" or "Garza's Crossing". After the War for Texas Independence (1836) the town was known as "Mann's Crossing". And finally on December 4, 1886 the city changed its name to "Von Ormy" in honor of Prussian Count Norbert Von Ormay, who moved to the city that year. A year later Count Von Ormay and his court mysteriously disappeared, but the name remained.

In 2007, construction began on a Union Pacific Station in Von Ormy. Currently, the Committee to Incorporate Von Ormy (CIVO) is leading a community effort to incorporate Von Ormy into a municipality. The area CIVO wishes to incorporate is 1.88 square miles and has over 1,300 residents and over 10 businesses."
- from

Valentin Poposki, 21 June 2008


[City Seal] image located by Paul Bassinson, 22 March 2019

Paul Bassinson, 22 March 2019