This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

McDonough, Georgia (U.S.)

Henry County

Last modified: 2021-11-20 by rick wyatt
Keywords: mcdonough | georgia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[City Seal] image by Masao Okazaki, 23 October 2021

See also:


Description of the Flag

The City of McDonough, Georgia, informed me that it has a flag, but is unable to provide an image of it.
Valentin Poposki, 1 August 2010

A photo of the flag from the city's website: https://www.facebook.com/CityofMcdonoughGA/photos/1739673016087641
The seal: https://www.facebook.com/CityofMcdonoughGA/photos/a.164480383606920/995286257192991/
Masao Okazaki, 23 October 2021

McDonough was originally inhabited by the Creek Indian Nation which ceded the land to the state in the early 1800s.
According to Wikipedia, it was named for naval officer Commodore Thomas MacDonough and founded in 1823 around a traditional town square design. The county courthouse and historic jail building are on the north side near the Welcome Center in a historically maintained Standard Oil service station 1920 prototype.
The town was a relay station on the New York to New Orleans stagecoach line and was connected by other stage lines with Fayetteville and Decatur, and with Macon by way of Jackson.

After the Civil War and arrival of the railroad, McDonough began a new era of growth and prosperity and became an important cotton market.
In 1900, a washout during a thunderstorm caused a train wreck about 1Ĺ miles (2.4 km) north of town. The runoff undermined about 100 feet of the Southern Railway (Macon division) prior the accident, and the passenger train subsequently caught fire, killing 35.
https://visitmcdonoughga.com/front/our-history/
Visit McDonough

Here is the nice story of "The Geranium City".

The Geranium Festival was first known as the Henry County Chamber Arts and Crafts Festival. In 1977, the first Henry County Chamber Arts and Crafts Festival took place at Big Spring Park. Likewise, the 1978 Festival took place at Big Spring Park, with 17 booths. In 1979, the Henry County Chamber Arts and Crafts Festival was moved to the downtown Square and had approximately 54-57 booths.

The following year, the Henry County Chamber of Commerce decided that they did not have enough staff to continue doing the Festival and asked the City of McDonough to find a civic organization to take over the Festival. Mayor Copeland asked two different civic organizations but neither organization was interested, as the funding available for the Festival was only $630. Mayor Copeland asked the Lionís Club to take the project on and, while initially hesitant, they met and the Lionís Club Board supported the challenge. President of the Chamber, Fred Crumley, and Mayor Copeland worked together to make the transition. The Chamber transferred the $630 to the Lionís Club, and they began to plan.

Lois and Kirk Carney moved, along with their business, from Pennsylvania to McDonough, Georgia. The name of their business was Oglevee Products and they sold plants, primarily red geraniums. They had a 5-acre plan house in McDonough and decided that they would like to contribute red geraniums annually to the Henry County Chamber Arts and Crafts Festival. The first year they donated 250 red geraniums, the second year around 400 red geraniums, the third year about 600 red geraniums, etc. Until they were donating more than 800 red geraniums to the Festival.

in 1982, the name was changed from the Henry County Chamber Arts and Crafts Festival to the Red Geranium Festival in honor of the generosity of Lois and Kirk Carney. Lois and Kirk continued to donate red geraniums to the Festival until they sold their business.
https://geraniumfestival.com/about-us/
Geranium Festival official website

Ivan Sache, 24 October 2021