This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Commander's Pennant (Thailand)

Last modified: 2013-07-20 by Zachary Harden
Keywords: commander | anchor: fouled (yellow) | pennant (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Commander's Flag (Thailand)] 2:5 image by Miles Li, 30 September 2009

Source: Flaggenbuch; Flags of All Nations.



See also:


Description

From the Singha Beer source:

The Commander's Flag
The flag was a dark blue, triangular pennant, the ration of the base to the length being 2 by 5. In the middle stands a yellow anchor.

The flag first made its appearance in B.E. 2479 [1936 AD] following a special Royal Decree, known as Article 9, concerning flags. In B.E.2483 [1940 AD], however, Article 9 was abolished ["and"?] the amended Royal Decree came into force in B.E.2483 [1940 AD]. The design on the flag, however, is the same as the one used today.

This appears as Flotillenchefstander or "pennant of a Flotilla Commander" in Flaggenbuch 1939, and it certainly is 2:5, with the anchor's vertical axis offset from the hoist 1/5th of the length. A similar pennant, but with the fly (3/5ths length) coloured white, appears as Halbflotillenchefstander or "pennant of a Half-Flotilla Commander", and yet another pennant, all white with a blue anchor, appears as Dienstalterstander or "seniority pennant".
Santiago Dotor, 05 Nov 1999