Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: bierun |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Arms of Bieruń are based on the city seal of 1587 and probably on the
seal even 100 years older.
The first legal Arms were decreed by the Minister of Internal Affairs on October 3, 1936.
"On the silver shield there is red deer running to the left on the green grass and having a pelican standing on its horns."
The Arms in this form existed until 1975 when the town ceased to be (after inclusion into Tychy).
After the restoration of the independence of the town in 1991, the Arms were changed to comply with the rules of heraldry and colors of Silesia.
The shield became blue, the deer - black and the grass - yellow.
It isn't clear what kind of bird is resting on the deer's horns.
The decree of 1936 calls it a pelican, but it surely looks more like a swan.
The city's Law ("Statut") doesn't mention the flag, implying there is
none, but photographic evidence suggests otherwise, showing the local mountain
climbers unfurling the city's flag on the summit of Mount Elbrus (Caucasus)
That flag is white with the Arms in the center.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 6 Nov 2008