Last modified: 2020-04-18 by rob raeside
Keywords: panama | veraguas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Zoltan Horvath, 27 December 2011
The Province of Veraguas (226,642 inhabitants in 2010; 112,393 ha), the only
province in the country spreading coast to coast (Atlantic - Pacific), is
composed of 12 districts: Atalaya, Calobre, Cañazas, La Mesa, Las Palmas,
Mariato, Montijo, Río de Jesús, San Francisco, Santa Fe, Santiago, and Soná. The
provincial capital is Santiago de Veraguas.
The province’s official date of foundation is 9 June 1508. The original Duchy of Veraguas, part of the Vice Kingdom of New Spain, was transformed in 1560 in the Governorate of Veraguas, with Francisco Vázquez as its first governor. It was subsequently transferred to the Vice Kingdom of Peru.
The first settlements - Santa Cruz (subsequently renamed to Villa de Los Santos), Santa Elena (Santo Domingo de Parita), and Santiago de Olá (close to Natá) - were established between 1550 and 1570 with the support of the Dominican Friar Pedro de Santa María.
During the wars of independence, Veraguas first remained loyal to the Spanish crown, serving with Panamá as a base for the war fought against the patriots in Quito and the Atlantic coast of New Granada, and to rescue Santa Marta. Conquered in 1815 by José de Fábrega, the province proclaimed its independence in 1821 and joined the Republic of Colombia organized by Simón Bolívar.
Ministry of the Government
Ivan Sache, 3 June 2019
The flag of Veraguas is prescribed by Resolution No. 12, adopted on 18 March
2019 by the Provincial Council and published on 13 May 2019 in the Panamá
official gazette, No. 28772-A.
1. The flag of the Province of Veraguas, which had not yet been recognized as the Province’s official flag, is approved.
2. The late Manuel Salvador Álvarez is recognized as the designer of the flag of Veraguas, which was created on 24 February 1993.
The flag is described in the Resolution’s Preamble:
The flag designed by the late Manuel Salvador Álvarez is an emblem of deep simplicity, characterized by blue rectangle, which represents the northern and southern coasts and is charged in the center by a map of the Province of Veraguas and the 12 stars forming a horseshoe, starting with Coiba-Montijo Island to Punta Cerro Hoya-Mariato, which symbolize the province’s districts: Atalaya, Calobre, Cañazas, La Mesa, Las Palmas, Mariato, Montijo, Río de Jesús, Soná, San Francisco, Santa Fe, and Santiago.
Ivan Sache, 3 June 2019
image by Fred Drews, 07 August 2015