Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: stein |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
Adopted 30 Jan 1970
St. Martin is the patron saint of the old parishes of Stein and Urmond. The representants of Urmond used in 1673 a seal with the horseman St. Martin. On the municipal arms is also the Coat of Arms of the lords of Elsloo, consisting of seven lozenges, known since the beginning of the 12th century. The lords of Stein had the same origin as those of Elsloo, and used the same arms.
Urmond is a former municipality in Limburg province; in 1982 it merged
with Elsloo and Stein to form the new municipality of Stein. Urmond was
named in the 12th century Overmounte = over the mountain, later it became
Urmond; the brook flowing through the village was named after it: Ur, but
popular etymology made Urmond named after the Ur. It is west of the agglomeration
Sittard-Geleen, and had in 1968 4.200, living in Urmond (seat), and Berg
Flagdescription: rectangular, consisting of a yellow field with in the center a black lion, armed red. Top and bottom are narrow blue stripes.
Adopted 30 Nov 1961 by municipal resolution.
Source: Derkwillem Visser's Gemeentevlaggen en wapens Koninkrijk der Nederlanden, Jun 2001.
Jarig Bakker, 1 Sep 2003