Last modified: 2021-07-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: muespach-le-haut |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Muespach-le-Haut - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 20 October 2020
The municipality of Muespach-le-Haut (1,064 inhabitants in 2018; 691 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km south of Mulhouse and 20 km west of Basel.
Muespach-le-Haut (Upper Muesbach), first mentioned in 1102 in the record of the foundation of the St. Alban convent in Basel as Muosbach and subsequently known as Muozbach (1218), Muospach (1262), Mosbach Superior (1271), Superiori Muospach (1280), Obern Muospach (1286), and Muospach Superioris (1295), is named for brook Muespach. The brook was probably originally known as Moosbach, Moss Brook. A local legend, however, claims that Muespach was originally Muesbach, Pea Brook. This odd name allegedly recalls that a young woman bringing a pot filled with pea soup to her man working in fields slipped when crossing the brook on a ford and dropped the peas down to the water.
In the Middle Ages, Muespach-le-Haut depended on the municipality and of the parish of Muespach-le-Bas (Lower Muespach), part of the County of Ferrette.
Muespach-le-Haut was the site of the most fortified (eight blockhouses) of the Maginot Line in the border region of Sundgau.
Ivan Sache, 13 July 2021
The flag of Muespach-le-Haut (photo) is a square banner of the municipal arms, "Azure a ram passant or surrounded by letters 'O' and 'M' of the same", for "Obermuesbach".
The arms are shown in the Armorial Général as "Azure a ram passant argent surrounded by the letters 'O' and 'M' or".
[Armoiries des communes du Haut-Rhin]
The municipality currently uses for arms "Azure a ram passant or in chief the letters 'O' and 'M' sable".
Pascal Vagnat, Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 13 July 2021