This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Faulquemont (Municipality, Moselle, France)

Last modified: 2021-03-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: faulquemont |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Faulquemont - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 16 September 2020

See also:

Presentation of Faulquemont

The municipality of Faulquemont (5,230 inhabitants in 2018; 1,879 ha; municipal website) is located 40 km east of Metz. The municipality was established on 1 May 1973 as the merger of the former municipalities of Faulquemont and Chémery.

Faulquemont was the site of a Gallo-Roman village, which was excavated from 1934 to 1936. Seemingly destroyed by a violent blaze, the village was composed of several villas and a pottery workshop, whose most salient pieces are shown in the Metz Museum. Archeologists could identify 36 potter's signatures; among them, Satto and Saturninus gained international fame, their production being exported to Holland, England and the valley of Danube. Tne necropolis associated to the settlement has not been found yet.

Faulquemont was first mentioned in 1210 as Falconismons, in Latin Falcon's Mount, and subsequently known as Faukemont (1238), Falkenburg (1399), and Falkenberg (1399 and during the German occupation).
As a small fortified town and capital of a feudal domain, Faulquemont belonged to the Bishop of Metz, and, subsequently to the Duke of Lorraine. The first lineage known to have been granted the domain is Bruniko of Malberg, subsequently lords of Fénétrange; in 1270, John of Fénétrange was lord of Fénétrange, Faulquemont, Créhange... In 1587, Count Paul of Salm, co-lord of Faulqumont, offerred a plot of uncultivated land to seven farmers commssioned to establish the village of Chémery. The village of Redlach was founded in 1607 on a cleared plot offered by élysée d'Haraucourt and François of Lorraine.
Locked in its walls, the smalll village of Faulquemont had only 79 inhabitants in 1615. In 1622, the burghers of Boulay, Saint-Avold, Forbach, Hombourg, Fénétrange and Morhange took shelter in Faulquemont, the town was seized in 1636 by the Swedes commanded by the Count of Morhange, who killed the mayor, the priest and 60 burghers.

The walls and the castle were suppressed in 1634 upon Richelieu's orders, some of their remains being still visible in the 18th century. The ruined village of Faulquemont had harldy 10 inhabitants in 1650, while Adelange, Chémery and Morhange were deserted.The re-settment of Faulquemont was initiated, out of the former fortified village, in 1683: a census made in 1709 yielded 94 households. The Marquisate of Faulquemont was established by an Edict issued on 4 December 1629 for the Haraucourt lineage, composed of the domains of Faulquemont, Dalem, Volmerange, Guenviller, Marienthal, Merlebach, Tritteling, Redlach, Vahl, Adelange, Hargarten, Teterchen, Goldenholz, and Bonhouse. The marquisate was transferred in 1743 to the Thiard, Marquess of Gissy, and, subsequently, to the Count of Choiseul-Beaupré, and eventually incorporated to France with the Duchy of Lorraine in 1766.w/PW wPWAfter the Second World War, Faulquemont boomed thanks to coal mining. The Houil;ières du Bassin de Lorraine established their main seat in the town from 1960 to 1964. Population increased from 1,142 to 5,162 in 1962; a workers' housing estate was designed by the architect Joseph Madeline (1891-1977). On 26 November 1970, the board of the Houillières decided to stop the exploitation of the Faulquemont mine, which occurred in late 1971, leaving 1,500 miners without emploiement.

Ivan Sache, 27 March 2021

Flag of Faulquemont

The flag of Faulquemont (photo, photo) is white with the municipal logo adopted in 1995.

Green refers to the woody and hilly areas surrounding the town.
The yellow son symbolizes energy used to promote the town.
Blue, in an ascending curve, evokes the will to have new projects.
The falcon's head is the visual representation of the town's name.
[Municipal website]

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 27 March 2021