Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: fuentesaúco |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Fuentesaúco - Image by Eduardo Panizo Gómez (Vexilla Hispanica website), 25 May 2011
The municipality of Fuentesaúco (1,915 inhabitants in 2010; 6,785 ha; unofficial portal) is located in the south-east of the Zamora Province, on the border with the Salamanca Province, 40 km from Zamora.
Fuentesaúco was mentioned for the first time in 1128, when King
Alfonso VII and his wife Berenguela transferred the village to
Bernardo, Bishop of Zamora, who granted a charter to the villagers in
Fuentesaúco is the cradle of the Fuentesaúco chick peas (garbanzos de Fuentesaúco), locally deemed "the best and the most famous in Spain" and celebrated by the local proverb: El buen garbanzo y el buen ladrón de Fuentesaúco son (The good chickpea and the good thief are from Fuentesaśco). Ladrón was once a common family name in the village, today lost.
To boost the resettlement, Alfonso IX exempted in 1224 every new colonist from all kind of tax; the village increased in size, which was a matter of dispute between the successive Bishops of Zamora and the Toro Council until the late 16th century. At the time, Fuentesaúco was the biggest village by its population in the Toro region. Bishop of Zamora Juan de Meneses, who had a residence in the village, improved its streets and built fountains and wells, as well as the St. John the Baptist church (1491).
Philip II sold the village to the Toro-based Deza y Águila family; on 18 November 1612, Philip III made Pedro de Leza y Guzmán Count of Fuentesaúco; his descendants would rule the village until the abolishment of the feudal system in the 19th century.
Ivan Sache, 25 May 2011
The flag and arms of Fuentesaúco, validated by the Royal Academy of
History, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 22 April 1992 by the
Government of Castile and Leon and published on 30 April 1992 in the
official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 82 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, vertically divided yellow, red, black, red and yellow.
Black represents the eagle, red its spurs and claws and yellow the field of the coat of arms.
The staff topped by a Royal Crown or a sphere.
Over the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Or a [double-headed] eagle sable (black), armed and legged gules (red), crowned or ensigned with two pennants gules (red) and argent. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown [detailed description skipped].
The Decree stating the adoption of the coat of arms by the municipality, without giving the description of the arms, was signed on 26 August 1988 by the Mayor and published on 14 September 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 178 (text).
Ivan Sache, 25 May 2011