Last modified: 2022-09-07 by ivan sache
Keywords: quintanilla de arriba | valladolid |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Quintanilla de Arriba - Image by Ignacio Koblischek, 14 August 2021
The municipality of Quintanilla de Arriba (162 inhabitants in 2020 vs. 902 in 1940; 2,816 ha) is located 50 km east of Valladolid and 10 km north-west of Peñafiel.
Ivan Sache, 14 August 2021
The flag and arms of Quintanilla de Arriba are prescribed by an Agreement adopted on 1 December 2020 by the Municipal Council and signed on 3 August 2021 by the Mayor, and published on 12 August 2021 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 156, p. 41,624. (text).
The symbols, which were validated on 4 March 2021 by the Chronicler of Arms of Castilla y León, are described as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 2:3, purple with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
Coat of arms: Gules a pallet argent charged with two spikes vert in fess surmounted by a bunch of grapes purpure leaved vert surrounded dexter by the figure of the "Vaccei wolf" argent and sinister by a tower or surmounted by a lamb argent. The chief per pale, 1. Argent three waves azure, 2. Or three gyrons gules issuant from dexter. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The symbols are supported by a memoir released on 5 November 2020 by Ignacio Koblischek.
The municipal flag uses the purple color of the banner (pendón) kept in the church of Quintanilla, typically Castilian.
1. The central pallet represents the main source of income for the municipality, agriculture, symbolized by wheat spikes and grapes.
2. The lateral quarters represent historical features.
3. The left quarter features the "Vaccei wolf" zoomorph in zenith view, as a symbol of the Vaccei, the pre-Roman people of Celtic culture who originally settled the central zone of the valley of Duero. Las Quintanas, a place of neighboring Padilla de Duero, clearly cognate with Quintanilla, is the seat of the important Pintia Archeological Zone managed by the Center of Vaccei Studies of the University of Valladolid.
4. The right quarter features a lamb lying on a crenelated tower, referring to the old Community of the Town and Land of Peñafiel, to which Quintanilla depended within Castile's territorial organization. The lamb symbolizes sheep wool that was for centuries a top resource.
5. The chief represents lineages.
The left part of the chief symbolizes the town's origin and situation. The village was first documented in 1248 as Quintanilla de Alvar Sancho. The blue waves are part of the arms of Alvar Sancho, a Cantabrian knight and re-settler, who came from Isla during the reign of Ferdinand III the Saint (1217-1252). Quintanilla is located on the left bank of the Duero and was once named for it, like most villages located near a river, Quintanilla de Duero.
6. The right part of the chief features the [canting] gyrons of the Girón lineage, which are shown in the arms of the castle of Peñafiel; the Girón were lords of Quintanilla.
[ Quintanilla de Arriba Facebook, 5 August 2021]
Ivan Sache, 14 August 2021