Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: pedrajas de san esteban |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Pedrajas de San Esteban, two versions - Images by Ivan Sache, 20 February 2014
The municipality of Pedrajas de San Esteban (3,639 inhabitants; 3,070 ha) is located in the southeast of Valladolid Province, on the border with Segovia Province, 50 km from Valladolid.
Pedrajas de San Esteban was resettled at the end of the 11th century,
as part of the Community of the Village and Land of Íscar; the
tradition says that the first resettler was named Alvar Fáñez de
Minaya. In 1371, Pedrajas and the other villages of the Community were
transferred by King Henry II to Juan González de Avellaneda. In the
middle of the 15th century, Aldonza de Avellaneda married Diego López
de Zúñiga, so that Pedrajas was transferred to the Counts of Miranda
del Castañar, who would rule the village until the abolishment of the
feudal system in the 19th century.
Pedrajas was granted in 1732 the title of villa by Philip V and got rid of the administrative supervision of Íscar; from this year onwards, the name of the village's patron saint, St. Stephen (San Esteban) was added to the village's name. When the modern provinces were set up in 1833, the village was transferred from Segovia Province to Valladolid Province.
Pedrajas de San Esteban is the birth place of the poet César de Medina Bocos (1873-1959), awarded on 25 March 1915 the title of Poeta Cantor de Castilla (Castile Cantor Poet) by the Madrid Ateneo.
Ivan Sache, 28 May 2011
The flag of Pedrajas de San Esteban (photo, photo) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 20 August 1987 by the
Government of Castilla y León and published on 27 August 1987 in the
official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 140 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Green charged with a bend or itself charged with the local coat of arms.
The Royal Academy of History did not find any flaw to the proposed flag (Buletín de la Royal Academia de Historia, 1987, 184, 3:563).
The coat of arms of Pedrajas de San Esteban, adopted on 13 September
1984 by the Municipal Council, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 24 February
1986 by the Government of Castilla y León and published on 3 March
1986 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 22 (text).
The Decree does not provide a description of the arms; it only states that the "suppression proposed by the Royal Academy of History" was made.
The coat of arms, not explicitly described in the Decree prescribing the arms, is "Per fess, 1. Gules an open book argent superimposed with a heap of stones or, 2. Or a pine vert. The shield surmounted by a Spanish Royal crown".
The Royal Academy of History described the proposed coat of arms as "Per fess, 1. Or a pine vert, 2. Azure a stony mount argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown". The pine represents the significant forest resources of the municipality while the stones [piedras] recall the name of the town. The Academy recommends to suppress the open book, because of its anti-aesthetic proximity with the stones. The orle argent, also unnecessary on the arms, should also be suppressed (Buletín de la Royal Academia de Historia, 1985, 182, 3:576).
The flag appears to be also used, unofficially, without the coat of arms (photo).
Ivan Sache, 20 February 2014