This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Fompedraza (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: fompedraza |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Fompedraza

The municipality of Fompedraza (127 inhabitants in 2014; 1,638 ha) is located in the south-east of the Province of Valladolid, on the border with the Province of Segovia, 65 km of Valladolid.
Fompedraza was first documented in 1210, as Fuente de Pedraza, although the village was probably established earlier.

Ivan Sache, 30 March 2015

Symbols of Fompedraza

The flag and arms of Fompedraza are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 11 February 2015 by the Municipal Council, signed the same day by the Mayor and published on 19 February 2015 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 34, p. 13,828 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: In proportions 1:2, crimson red (gules), charged with the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: In Spanish shape, per fess, 1. Or the face of Infante Juan Manuel, as represented in Mudéjar style in the Fompedraza parish church, 2a. A fountain azure and gray gushing forth out of rocks and the town's namesake, Fuente de Piedra [Stone Fountain], 2b. Argent a bunch of grape gules and a grapevine leaf vert representing the wine-growing tradition of the municipality, part of the protected designation Ribera del Duero. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.

The flag is crimson red, the colour of Castile at the time of Alfonso VIII, when the village was first documented (1210).
Infante Juan Manuel was lord of Fompedraza and the neighbouring villages in the Middle Ages. His representation (photo) was revealed during the last restoration campaign of the St. Bartholomew parish church, painted on the last beam from the original Romanesque church, subsequently substituted by a Baroque church. The face is surrounded by the coat of arms of the Manuel family and of Castile and León. There are four wine cellars in Fompedraza.
[El Norte de Castilla, 15 March 2015]

Infante Juan Manuel (1282-1348) is the author of El Conde de Lucanor (Tales of Count Lucanor, 1335), one of the earliest works of prose in Castilian language.

Ivan Sache, 30 March 2015