Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: arroyo de la encomienda | valladolid |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Arroyo de la Encomienda - Image by "Nethunter" (Wikimedia Commons website), 24 May 2011
The municipality of Arroyo de la Encomienda (12,758 inhabitants in 2010, therefore the 4th most populous municipality in the Valladolid Province; 1,154 ha) is located in the Valladolid Province, 8 km west of Valladolid. The municipality is made of the boroughs of Arroyo (mentioned for the first time in 1205), La Flecha (capital, mentioned for the first time in 1526; including c. 75% of the population of the municipality), Monasterio del Prado, La Vega and Sotoverde (a residential condominium founded in 2005)
Ivan Sache, 24 May 2011
The flag of Arroyo de la Encomienda is prescribed by a Decree adopted
on 30 December 1994 by the Valladolid Provincial Government, signed by
the President of the Government on 11 January 1995 and published on 24
January 1995 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 16 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, made of two equal horizontal stripes, white on top and crimson red on bottom. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
The coat of arms of Arroyo de la Encomienda, adopted on 3 May 1988 by
the Municipal Council and validated by the Royal Academy of History
(see below), is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 27 November 1990 by
the Government of Castile and LeonLeónand published on 7 December 1990 in
the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 236 (text).
TThe coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Gules a Cross of the Order of St. John argent, 2. Or three elms vert on waves azure and argent (that should fill the base of the shield). The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed arms, including the Cross of the Order of St. John, recalling that Arroyo was an encomendia of the Order, and waves symbolizing river Pisuerga. The Academy required a slight modification in the design of the arms since the waves should completely fill the base of the shield (Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1990, 187, 3: 486). The recommended modification was made and explicitly mentioned in the description of the arms.
Ivan Sache, 23 May 2011