Last modified: 2020-04-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: huerta de valdecarárabanos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Huerta de Valdecarárabanos - Image by Ivan Sache, 9 September 2019
The municipality of Huerta de Valdecárabanos (1,681 inhabitants in 2018; 8,300 ha; municipal website) is located 40 km east of Toledo and 20 km south-west of Ocaña.
Huerta de Valdecárabanos was exactly located on the Tagus re-settlement line, of great significance in the aftermath of the reconquest of Toledo in 1085. The area was granted to military orders, which established sentinel settlements to watch the border with the Muslim states. The area was mostly resettled by Mozarabs expelled in 1125 from Andalusia by the new Almoravid rulers, who were much less tolerant than their predecessors, if not fanatic.
On 4 November 1154, Alfonso VII granted to Miguel, archdeacon of Málaga, and 23 other Mozarabs from the same town, the hamlet of Pastor, located on the bank of Tagus on Valle de Carabaño. At an unknown date, the village was transferred to Pedro de Torquemada and his wife, María Arnaldi, who donated it to the Order of Calatrava in 1204. The donation was confirmed in 1207 by Alfonso VIII; the document mentions Martín Pérez as the Commander of Orta (Huerta). Martin Martínez, Master of Salvatierra, ordered the building or revamping of the fortress overlooking the village, which has been chartered in 1204.
Juan García de Loaysa (1478-1546), Confessor of Charles V (1522), Master General of the Dominican Order (1528), Bishop of Osma (1524) and Sigüenza (1532, Archbishop of Seville (1539) and Cardinal-Priest of Santa Susanna (1530), acquired Huerta de Valdecárabanos in 1539. The town was ruled by the Loaysa family, Counts of Salviaterra, until the 19th century, when they were succeeded by the Dukes of Híjar.
Ivan Sache, 9 September 2019
The flag of Huerta de Valdecárabanos is prescribed by an Order issued on 17 February 1992 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 21 February 1992 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 14, p. 657 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular with a triangle running from the hoist to the center, white, red, and yellow. The flag can be charged with the coat of arms of the municipality, which was approved by Decree No. 11 issued on 26 February 1986.
The flag in actual use (photo, photo, photo, photo) is charged with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Huerta de Valdecárabanos is prescribed by Decree No. 11, issued on 25 February 1986 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 4 March 1986 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 9, pp. 328-329 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Argent a cross flory gules surrounded by chains sable, 2. Or five roses gules in saltire. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The second quarter shows the arms of the Loaysa lineage. The roses were used in the 16th century by genealogists to assign a Welsh origin to the Loaysa lineage. Allegedly, the root of the lineage is Jofré of Wales, a squire who gave his life to protect King Louis IX (Saint Louis) against revolted courtesans. There is absolutely not the least record of either this event or Jofré in chronicles.
Jofré of Loaysa (d. 1308) was a prominent knight at the court of Alfonso X the Wise. Appointed governor of Queen Violante, he married Jacometa, a French lady. The couple was interred in the church of the Las Huelgas monastery in Burgos. Jofré is mentioned in chronicles as a main support of the king in the reconquest of the Kingdom of Murcia, for which he was rewarded with immense possessions. He was sent in 1277 to London to strengthen the relations between the two kingdoms; the two monarchs, Edward III and Alfonso X, were brothers-in-law. Jofré of Loaysa was subsequently appointed Royal Notary and chaplain of Infante Sancho (1279) and Archdeacon of Toledo (1280).
Alvaro de Loaysa was appointed commander of the fortress of Talavera by Peter I the Cruel, probably with the support of his brother-in-law, García Alvarez de Toledo, 1st lord of Oropesa and Master of the Order of Saint James. His descenders formed one of the most famous lineages of Talavera.
[José-Carlos Gómez-Menor Fuentes. 1989. Los Loaysas de Talavera de la Reina, señores de Huerta de Valdecárabanos Anales Toledanos 26, 353-380]
Ivan Sache, 9 September 2019