Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: palazuelos de eresma |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Palazuelos de Eresma - Image by Ivan Sache, 18 February 2014
The municipality of Palazuelos de Eresma (4,238 inhabitants in 2010, therefore the 5th most populous municipality in the province; 3,670 ha; municipal website) is located in the southwest of Segovia Province, on the border with the Madrid Autonomous Community. The municipality is made of the villages of Palazuelos de Eresma (2,533 inh., capital), Quitapesares (171 inh.), Tabanera del Monte (904 inh.), Parque Robledo (555 inh.), Peñas del Erizo (51 inh.) and Carrascalejo (24 inh.).
Palazuelos de Eresma was already settled in the Roman times, as evidenced by the remains of a Roman estate (villa) and of a Visigothic necropolis found in 1991. There is no document on the foundation on the modern village; the historian Colmenares believes that inhabitants of Segovia fled the town destroyed by Abd-ar- Rahman and built in the neighbouring mountains small houses called palacios for which the village was named. At the time of the Reconquest, settlements named "Palacios" usually included several houses. Palazuelos was known in 1247 as Pala&cceidl;uelos; the reference to river Eresma was added to the name of the village in the 18th century. In the 16th century, the Fabio family, of Italian origin, set up in Palazuelos a paper mill of great significance for the Spanish paper industry, especially after King Carlos II had decreed that the paper to be used by the secretaries of the state should come from Palazuelos.
Palazuelos de Eresma is the home of the DYC ("Destilerias y Crianza del Whisky") distillery, founded in 1955 by Nicomedes García, the first bottles being sold in 1959. DYC owned in 1987 46% of the Spanish market.
Ivan Sache, 25 June 2011
The flag and arms of Palazuelos de Eresma (presentation leaflet) were first approved on 2 November 2006 by the Municipal Council, presented to the public on 18 December 2006, and definitively approved on 18 December 2007. On 27 December 2007, the Municipal Council issued the "Institutional declaration on the officialization of the municipal flag" (text), stating that "As of 1 January 2008 and as prescribed in Decree No. 162/2007, the flag shall be hoisted on all municipal building and dependencies and used in the institutional events at the relevant position". The Decree on the symbols does not seem to have been published in the official gazette of Castilla y León.
The flag is vertically divided blue-yellow, with, in the bottom a rectangular panel covering 2/5 of the flag's hoist, horizontally divided light blue-white-light blue-white-light blue. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms is "Per pale, 1. Azure a house proper, 2. Or an oak
proper ensigned with two horseflies proper, in base waves azure and
argent. The shield surmounted with an Infant's coronet".
The dexter part of the shield represents Palazuelos proper. The sinister part represents Robledo (roble, "an oak) and Tabanera del Monte (tábano, "a horsefly"). The base of the shield represents river Eresma.
An official document provides additional explanation of the elements of
the coat of arms.
The palace is a symbol of elevation and domination by a lineage, as well as of safeguard and protection for its guests.
The waves are a symbol of the bravery and extent of the rulers, as well as of obedience to the sovereign.
The oak is a symbol of stability, fecundity and love used in valourous acts, as well as of defence of the rights.
The Infant's coronet is decorated with eight florets shaped like a celery leaf and separated from each other by a pearl.
Azure represents freshness, nobleness, pure air, youth and new places. Or, as a warm colour, gives some balance to the general design of the coat of arms.
A photo of the flag confirms the use of different blue shades on the flag: very dark for the upper left quarter, dark for the dexter field of the shield and the first wave, light for the other waves and the horizontal stripes.
Ivan Sache, 18 February 2014