Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: la zarza de pumareda |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of La Zarza de Pumareda - Image by Ivan Sache, 9 February 2014
The municipality of La Zarza de Pumareda (157 inhabitants in 2009; 2,830 ha; municipal website) is located in the northwest of Salamanca Province, 100 km from Salamanca.
La Zarza de Pumareda was founded, according to some sources, between 1157 and 1188, during the reign of King of León Ferdinand II, in an area hitherto used as a desert, buffer territory between the Christian and Moorish armies. Known as tierre de nadie (Land of Nearly Nothing), the area was resettled by colonists from Galicia, Cantabria, and, mostly, Asturias. The Asturian founders of La Zarza de Pumareda probably named the new village for the resources of their original land, blackberry bushes (zarzamora / zarza) and apple orchards (pomarada" subsequently transformed to pumareda).
Ivan Sache, 24 November 2010
The flag and arms of La Zarza de Pumareda are prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 24 September 2007 by the Municipal Council, signed on 3
October 2007 by the Mayor, and published on 17 October 2007 in the
official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 202, pp. 19,612-19,613 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1. Vertically divided purple-white (1:3) by a clavate border. In the central blue stripe, centered, a tower argent and a blackberry bush proper.
Coat of arms: Per fess 1. Azure a three-arched bridge or masoned sable, 2. Argent a blackberry bush leaved and fructed proper. The shield surmounted by the Royal Spanish crown.
The flag in use (photos of the presentation and hoisting on the Town Hall) does not fully match the prescribed flag. It is in proportions 2:3. There is no tower argent and no "central blue stripe". That blue stripe does not fit the overall description of the flag, though.
The coat of arms (image) was designed by Luis Hernández Olivera (University of Salamanca). The blackberry bush (zarza) makes the arms canting. The bridge is the Robledo bridge, aka the Greater Bridge or St. Dominic Bridge, the main monument of the municipality.
Ivan Sache, 25 November 2010