Last modified: 2020-02-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: peñarandilla |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Peñarandilla - Image by Ivan Sache, 5 October 2019
The municipality of Peñarandilla (182 inhabitants in 2018 vs. 545 in 1950; 1,273 ha) is located 40 km south-east of Salamanca and 20 km north-east of Alba de Tormes.
Peñarandilla is listed among the places re-settled in 1224 by Alfonso IX, as Peñaranda. According to Antonio Llorent, the village's name is of Celtic origin, from penno, "a head, a peak", and randa, "a limit, a border". The village is indeed located on a hill, on the border between the kingdoms of Castile and León delimited in 1157. In 1250, colonists from Peñaranda del Duero established a new settlement at a road junction located in the north-east of Alba de Tormes. This strategic place attracted more inhabitants. The village was known in the 15th century as Peñaranda del Sordo, this name being still used in the Cadaster made by the Marquess of La Ensanada in the 18th century.
The village's landmark is the parish church dedicated to Our Lady of the Ascension. Erected on the highest point of the village, the church has kept most of its outer and inner structure, made of a single nave and a semi-circular apse. The Manuscrito de lugares y aldeas de Obispado de Salamanca, the census of the Diocese of Salamanca compiled from 1604 to 1629, states that the church was in good state of conservation in spite of lack of care.
[Blog Salamanca, 17 March 2015]
Ivan Sache, 5 October 2019
The flag and arms of Peñarandilla, supported by a memoir submitted by D. Ricardo Gil Turrión, are prescribed by an Agreement adopted on 16 May 2019 by the Municipal Council, signed on 1 October 2019 by the Mayor, and published on 17 October 2019 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 201, p. 45,495 (text).
The symbols are described as follows.
Flag: Quadrangular, in proportions 1:1. Composed of 27 squares, 14 of them red and the 13 remaining white, the upper hoist's square charged with a quill.
Coat of arms: Spanish shield rounded-off in base. Per fess, 1a. Chequy of 27 pieces gules and argent, 1b. Argent a lion rampant purpure crowned, 2. Chequy of 15 pieces argent and azure. Inescutcheon gules a quill or superimposed to an open book of the same. The shield surmounted by a Spanish Royal crown.
The red and white rectangles represent the mudéjar art proper to the area. The lion represents the old Kingdom of León. The white and blue rectangles represent the House of Alba.
The quill and book represent the last journey of St. Teresa of Ávila (1515-1582; canonized on 12 March 1622 by Gregory XV).
[Salamanca 24 Horas, 30 July 2019]
The Theresian March, first organized in 1981 for the celebration of the 4th centenary of the death of St. Theresa, follows the route of her last journey, from Medina del Campo to Alba de Tormes, where she died on 4 October 1582, via El Campillo, Carpio, Fresno El Viejo, Cantalapiedra, Palacios Rubios, Zorita de la Frontera, Aldeaseca de la Frontera, Nava de Sotribal, Coca de Alba, Peñarandilla, and Garciahernandez.
[Gaudium Press, 30 August 2018]
Ivan Sache, 9 December 2019