This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Puente del Congosto (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: puente del congosto | salamanca |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Puente del Congosto

The municipality of Puente del Congosto (273 inhabitants in 2009; 3,404 ha; unofficial website) is located in the southeast of Salamanca Province, 70 km from Salamanca.

Puente del Congosto is built on the west bank of river Tormes, crossed by a bridge (puente) watched by the castle dominating the village. The Congosto Towers mentioned in 1212 were probably early fortifications. The bridge as seen today was built upon order of the Catholic Monarchs, as stated in a document dated 1500; the castle must date back to the same period.
The area is dominated by the Cerro del Berrueco mountain (1,354 m), on which six archaeologic sites from the 1st millennium BC have been excavated since the 1920s.

Ivan Sache, 7 January 2011

Symbols of Puente del Congosto

The flag (photo) and arms of Puente del Congosto are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 30 April 2003 by the Municipal Council, signed on 5 May 2003 by the Mayor, and published on 2 June 2003 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 103, p. 8,088 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular panel, with proportions 1:1, divided into three equal vertical stripes, the central stripe red with the municipal coat of arms in the middle and the other stripes checky of 15 pieces, eight white and seven blue.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a bridge [puente] or over waves argent and azure ensigned with a castle or port and windows azure, 2. Checky of 15 pieces, eight argent and seven azure [Crown not mentioned].

The symbols are presented by Mayor Soledad Arana in El Adelanto de Salamanca, 8 January 2004. On 17 February 2003, the Municipal Council commissioned Instituto de Heráldica Municipal Borbone to draft the symbols (proposals). The arms represent the local landscape (bridge, castle and river Tormes). The checky field is made of the arms of the Dukes of Alba, once lords of Puente del Congosto.
On 6 April 2004, El Adelanto de Salamanca presented the flag in the cloth. Five copies were ordered for outdoors hoisting, another one was to be ordered, to be placed in the Honour Room of the Town Hall. On 18 August 2004, El Adelanto de Salamanca announced that the symbols were to be officially unveiled on 22 August 2004 during the village festival.

Ivan Sache, 7 January 2011