Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: buenavista de valdavia | palencia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Buenavista de Valdavia - Image by Ivan Sache, 19 April 2011
The municipality of Buenavista de Valdavia (382 inhabitants in 2010; 8,164 ha; municipal website) is located in the north center of Palencia Province, 90 km from Palencia. The municipality is made of the villages of Buenavista de Valdavia (capital), Arenillas de San Pelayo (69 inh.), Barriosuso (22 inh.), Polvorosa de Valdavia (25 inh.) and Renedo de Valdavia (55 inh.).
Buenavista de Valdavia was known in the 13th century as Agüero de
Yuso, a village belonging to the Santa María de la Vega de Carrión
monastery, which granted a charter to the village in 1224. The village
took its current name in 1789.
Arenillas de San Pelayo developed around the San Pelayo monastery, founded in the 12th century by the Muñoz, Counts of Saldaña; the monastery was subsequently downgraded to a priory belonging to the San Zoilo monastery (Carrión de los Condes).
Ivan Sache, 19 April 2011
The flag and arms of Buenavista de Valdavia are prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 13 January 1997 by the Palencia Provincial Government,
signed on 20 January 1997 by the President of the Government, and
published on 3 February 1997 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 22 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag with proportions 1:1, made of a blue triangle with the base along the flag's hoist and two triangles, the first green and the second red, with the point against the hoist.
Coat of arms: Rectangular, rounded-off in base, made of three quarters, two normal quarters in chief and a quarter including the base's field, surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown closed. Chief dexter quarter: Gules a castle or, in base an agüero (fountain) that gave its name to the castle and to the village that emerged nearby. Chief sinister quarter: Vert four bezants argent in the angles in the middle an eye argent with the pupil colored with all the colors of the shield. Base quarter: Azure four mitres argent and a mitre or nimbed of the same.
The Royal Academy of History found the design of the proposed arms
"absolutely unheraldic". The castle with a canal in each corner is
inadequate, so are the "eye argent with the pupil colored with all the
colors of the shield", the mitres of different colors, etc. The
description mentions a Royal Spanish crown but the drawing shows a
sketchy coronet open.
Examination of the flag's proposal was postponed until a new coat of arms is proposed (Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1998, 195, 2: 375).
Ivan Sache, 19 April 2011