This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Villaconejos (Municipality, Community of Madrid, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-05-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: villaconejos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Villaconejos - Image by Ivan Sache, 4 August 2015

See also:

Presentation of Villaconejos

The municipality of Villaconejos (3,447 inhabitants in 2014; 3,665 ha; 1,435 ha) is located in the south-west of the Community of Madrid, 50 km of Madrid and 15 km of Aranjuez.

Villaconejos was originally known as Villa de los Conejos, the Rabbits' Town, probably named for the abundance of rabbits in the area. The town is mostly known in Spain for its melons, which are eagerly awaited each year on the country's markets. The Melon Museum (website), the sole in the world, was established in 1993 in Villaconejos by the melon grower Fernando Agudo Platero. His grand father brought back in 1900 the black melon from North Africa, where he had served as a soldier. No longer cultivated, the black melon has been superseded by the piel de sapo (toad's skin) and mochuelo (owl) varieties.

Ivan Sache, 4 August 2015

Symbols of Villaconejos

The flag (photo, photo) and arms of Villaconejos are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 6 May 1993 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 27 May 1993 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 124, pp. 4-5 (text), and on 15 June 1993 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 142, p. 18,315 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, horizontally divided into two equal parts, the upper, yellow, and the lower, white.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Argent a melon plant with three leaves and two fruits, 2. Or a rabbit [conejo] courant proper. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

Ivan Sache, 4 August 2015