This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Guadalix de la Sierra (Municipality, Community of Madrid, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-05-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: guadalix de la sierra |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Guadalix de la Sierra - Image by Ivan Sache, 9 July 2015

See also:

Presentation of Guadalix de la Sierra

The municipality of Guadalix de la Sierra (6,057 inhabitants in 2014; 6,100 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of the Community of Madrid, 50 km of Madrid.

Guadalix is named for an Arab word meaning the Alder's River. The place was resettled by colonists from Segovia in the times of Alfonso X the Wise. The king established the Real de Manzanares, a territory including the villages of Manzanares, Colmenar Viejo and Galapagar, Guadalix included. In 1383, King John I granted Guadalix to Pedro González de Mendoza, as a reward for his support to his father, Henry II.
Until the 18th century, export of wool to Buitrago and Guadalajara was the main source of income in the village, which also developed agriculture in the fertile valley of river Guadalix; the local onions (cebollas), highly prized in Madrid, yielded to the villagers the nickname of cebolleros. The limestone quarries of La Horca, El Pilancón, Los Lanchares, Los Alcores and Dehesa Parda supplied stones also highly prized in Madrid; the inauguration of the railway station of Colmenar Viejo in 1911 facilitated the export of stone.
The building of the man-made lake of Predrezuela (1967) flooded the chapel of the Virgin of Espinar, whose statute was transferred into a brand new chapel.

Guadalix is known to the movie buffs as the scenery of the movie ¡Bienvenido, Mister Marshall! (Welcome Mr. Marshall!), shot in the town in 1953 by Luis García Berlanga (1921-2010), entered the same year in the Cannes Film Festival, and considered one of the masterpieces of Spanish cinema.

Ivan Sache, 9 July 2015

Symbols of Guadalix de la Sierra

The flag (photo, photo) of Guadalix de la Sierra is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 29 April 2010 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 17 June 2010 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 143, p. 93 (text) and on 12 June 2010 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 143, p. 50,521 (text). The flag, originally adopted on 25 June 2009 by the Municipal Council, was approved on 6 July 2009 by the Heraldry Assessors (Royal Academy "Matritense" of Heraldry and Genealogy).
The flag is described as follows:

Flag: In proportions 2:3. Tierced horizontally, double in the center, blue, white and blue. In the center of the panel is placed the municipal coat of arms.

The coat of arms of Guadalix de la Sierra is prescribed by Decree No. 241, adopted on 23 January 1976 by the Spanish Government and published on 17 February 1976 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 41, pp. 3,311-3,312 (text). The coat of arms, validated by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:
The coat of arms is described as follows:

Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. [Azure] five mounts argent on waves azure and argent, 2. Azure an aqueduct or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The 1st quarter represents the local landscape, while the 2nd quarter represents the Roman aqueduct of Segovia, recalling that Guadalix was once part of the Community of the Town and Land of Segovia.

Ivan Sache, 9 July 2015