Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: castilfalé | león |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Castilfalé (89 inhabitants in 2009; 2,590 ha) is located in the southeast of León Province, 50 km of León.
Castilfalé emerged in the 11th century as Castrello de Falei (1034). The subsequent variants of the name of the place clearly allude to a fortress (Castrelo, Castrel, Castriello, Castriel, Castillo, Castil, Castrillo) around which the village had developed. Once an enclave in the territory under Muslim rule, Castilfalé was resettled in the 11th-13th centuries. King Henry II (1366-1379) granted Castilfalé to the Barba family, lords of Castrofuerte, who would maintain their rule on the place until the end of the feudal system (1812) via alliances and marriages with the biggest local lineages. In 1686, Francisco de Sotomayor Pacheco y Barba, third Marquess of Castrofuerte, was made Viscount of Castilfalé. His descendants were made Counts of Castilfalé in the 19th century.
Formed in 1835, the first municipality of Castilfalé included Castilfalé proper, Valdemora, Valdespino Cerón, Villabraz and Matanza. In 1851, only Villabraz and Valdemora remained in the municipality of Castilfalé. Villabraz and Valdemora became municipalities in 1853 and 1857, respectively, so that the today's municipality of Castilfalé is made of the village of Castilfalé and of the deserted village of Monte.
Ivan Sache, 21 November 2010
The flag and arms of Castilfalé (VexiLeón website) are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 5 September 2008 by the Municipal Council, signed on 25 October 2008 by the Mayor, and published on 3 November 2008 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 212, p. 21,538 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: The flag shall be of rectangular shape, with proportions 2:3, made of four equal horizontal stripes of crimson color, separated form each other by a border or, with a white triangle placed along the hoist and charged with the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms:
- Shield: of traditional Spanish shape, rectangular, oblong and rounded-off in base, with proportions 5:6;
- Division: Per pale; grafted in base;
- First quarter: Gules a castle argent masoned sable;
- Second quarter: Argent a lion rampant purpure langued armed and crowned or;
- Third quarter: Vert a letter "V" for villa sable surmounted by a column or;
- Bordure: Or charged with the writing sable "CASTIL DE FALE".
The shield surmounted by a Royal closed crown.
The symbols were designed by Laureano M. Rubio Pé:rez. The border charged with the name of the village and the third quarter recall that Castilfalé had its own jurisdiction. The first quarter recalls the castle for which the village was named. The second quarter represents León. In his memoir, the author shows the flag with proportions 1:2, but the Decree prescribes 2:3.
Ivan Sache, 21 November 2010