Last modified: 2020-02-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: el recuenco |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of El Recuenco (60 inhabitants in 2018; 7,518 ha) is
located on the border with the Province of Cuenca, 100 km east of Guadalajara
El Recuenco is located in a 5-km wide depression surrounding by high mountains. The Celtiberian site of Pobaldo de Santa Cruz and tombs, probably from the 3rd-4th centuries, were excavated.
Most of the population of the village emigrated to the eastern suburbs of Madrid (Vicálvaro, San Blas, Alcalá de Henares, Moratalaz and Canillejas) and to Guadalajara, these six places accounting for 70% of the emigrants.
El Recuenco was once a main center of glass making. Five glass makers,
each owning his oven, were documented in the 16th century; most of the
windows of the San Lorenzo del Escorial monastery were made with glass produced in El Recuenco. The Vanetian master Guillermo Carrara, active
from 1582 to 1586, produced 4,848 glass sheets for the church and other
dependenies of the monastery; in 1587, he was commissioned to produce
500 alambics for the pharmacy of the monastery.
Glss manufactures in El Recuenco was sold in the 17th century all over Castile, competing with Cadalso. Philip V ordered that all wine jars and alambics for the Royal pharmacy should be made in El Recuenco.
Glass industry peaked in the village in the 18th century then declined, so that all workshops were closed one century ago.
[Solana, No. 117]
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019
The flag of El Recuenco is prescribed by an Order issued on 8 June 2005
by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 17 June 2005 in
the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 121, p. 12,214 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3, vert (green), in the center the municipal coat of arms.
The Royal Academy of History rejected the proposed flag since it includes a coat of arms that is not officially approved. The municipality was required to first search for the approval of the coat of arms.BR> [Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 202:2, 312. 2005]
The coat of arms of El Recuenco is prescribed by an Order issued on 20
February 2003 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 5
March 2003 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 31, p. 3,464 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Spanish shield. Or two moutainous promontories forming a valley proper in chief a crystal round-bottom flask vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History rejected the proposed arms, which are not
even minimally compliant with the charges and colors of heraldry.
Another proposal has to be elaborated.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 198:2,399. 2001]
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019