This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Huétor-Tájar (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Huétor Tájar

Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: huétor-tájar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Huétor-Tájar - Image after the Símbolos de Granada website, 20 May 2014

See also:

Presentation of Huétor-Tájar

The municipality of Huétor-Tájar (aka Huétor Tájar; 10,075 inhabitants in 2014; 3,994 ha; municipal website) is located 45 km west of Granada. The municipality is made of the town of Huétor-Tájar (9,105 inh.) and of the villages of Venta Nueva (763 inh.), La Estación (54 inh.), Las Torres (40 inh.), La Esperanza (33 inh.) and Calardos (3 inh.).

Huétor-Tájar was established as the merger of the two alquerías (fortified estates) of Huétor and Tájar. Huétor originates, according to some historians, in the Roman villae of Cueto, Vesci or Vector. Tájar was destroyed in 1483; remains of its fortress are still visible in the village of Los Torres (The Towers).
After the reconquest of Granada from the Moors, the domain of Huétor-Tájar was granted in 1532 to the son of Álvaro de Luna, as confirmed in 1559 by Princess Joanna. In the 17th century, the domain was transferred to the Portocarrero, Counts of Montijo, after the marriage of Ana de Luna Enríquez.

Huétor-Tájar is the cradle of the Huétor-Tájar asparagus, locally known as the green-purple asparagus. The modern-day, tetraploid, green-purple asparagus was bred by farmers from wild plants growing close to river Genil.
The Specific Denomination "Espárrago de Huétor-Tájar" and the organization of its Regulatory Council (website) are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 2 April 1997 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 18 April 1997 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 93, pp. 12,324-12,333 (text). The production of Huétor-Tájar asparagus is allowed in only five municipalities: Moraleda de Zafayona, Íllora, Villanueva Mesía, Huétor-Tájar, Salar and Loja, in compliance with the cropping practices and the quality standards detailed in the Decree and controlled by the Regulatory Council.
The Protected Geographical Designation "Espárrago de Huétor-Tájar" was granted by By-Law No. 547, adopted on 14 March 2000 by the European Commission.
The whole production is commercialized, under the brand "Los Monteros", by a single authorized company, Sociedad Cooperativa Andaluza Centro Sul, established in 1977 in Huétor-Tájar.

Ivan Sache, 20 May 2014

Symbols of Huétor-Tájar

The flag and arms of Huétor-Tájar, adopted on 7 March 2001 by the Municipal Council and validated on 22 November 2001 by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, are prescribed by Decree No. 17, adopted on 22 January 2002 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 19 February 2002 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 21, pp. 2,561-2,562 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The symbols are prescribed as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, red, crossed by an horizontal stripe checky blue and yellow, chrged in the center with the crowned coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Gules a crescent reversed argent the base of the same. A bordure compony of 16 pieces eight or and eight azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown or.

The flag in use (photo, photo), also shown as an image on the municipal website, has the central stripe made of three rows of squares.

The Preamble of the Decree explains that the arms are a combination of the arms of the two lineages which ruled Huétor-Tájar: "Gules a crescent reversed argent a base of the same" (Luna) and "Checky of 15 pieces eight or and seven azure" (Portocarrero).

The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed arms, stating, however, that it would have been better to have included a proper to the place to the arms of its rulers. The Academy validated the proposed flag "without any objection".
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 2003, 200, 2:174]

Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 May 2014