Last modified: 2019-10-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: villaconejos de trabaque |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villaconejos de Trabaque - Image by "Nethunter", Wikimedia Commons, 11 July 2019
The municipality of Villaconejos de Trabaque (348 inhabitants in 2018 vs. 949 in 1940; 3,164 ha; unofficial website) is located 50 km north of Cuenca.
Villaconejos de Trabaque originates in the establishment of Albalate de Bombarrá, a village founded at the entrance of a gorge of river Trabaque, by Muslims expelled from Fuente de los Baños. This place, lit. the Baths' Fountain, has yielded Roman remains from the 3rd-4th centuries (coins, pieces of pottery, crystal vases, small statues, and ex-votos). The Arab doctor Adben Yuiseb built a bath around the Roman fountain to heal rheumatism and urinary and skin diseases. Nothing has remained from the baths but a well. The tradition says that a mosque also existed on the site; the parish priest Manuel Romanos claimed that the Albalate parish church, located on the hill top, was erected on the remains of the mosque.
At an unknown date in the 15th or 16th century, Albalate de Bombarrá
was destroyed by a flood. The villagers abandoned the site and split
into to villages, Albalate de las Nogueras and Villaconejos.
Villaconejos was incorporated in 1433 to the Marquisate of Moya.
[Ana Patricia Gómez Cava. Historia de Villaconejos de Trabaque]
Ivan Sache, 11 July 2019
The flag of Villaconejos de Trabaque is prescribed by an Order issued on
3 February 1993 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on
10 February 1993 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 10,
p. 584 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, red, with a blue diagonal stripe running from the hoist's lower angle to the fly's upper angle, in width 2/5 of the panel's width, bordered with two white stripes in width 1/5 of the panel's width.
The coat of arms of Villaconejos de Trabaque s prescribed by an Order
issued on 3 February 1993 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and
published on 10 February 1993 in the official gazette of Castilla-La
Mancha, No. 10, pp. 583-584 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a town argent, 2. Vert a rabbit argent. Grafted in base, wavy argent and azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed symbols, suggesting
modifications to the graphic representation of the arms.
The arms form a rebus of the municipality's name, featuring a town (villa), a rabbit (conejo), and waves representing river Trabaque. The representation of the town is ill-defined, not easy to reproduce and identify; it could be a reduced to its main elements, the tower. The representation of the wave would be more compliant to traditional use if transformed to six fesses wavy.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 190:1, 154. 1993]
Ivan Sache, 11 July 2019