Last modified: 2019-10-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: villar de domingo garcía |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villar de Domingo García - Image by "Asqueladd", Wikimedia Commons, 24 July 2019
The municipality of Villar de Domingo García (229 inhabitants in 2018; 5,477 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km north-west of Cuenca. The municipality is made of the villages of Villar de Domingo García, Noheda, Sacedoncillo and Villalbilla.
Villar de Domingo García was established after the Christian reconquest by colonists from Molina. For the sake of differentiation from other villages named Villar / EL Villar, the name of the bishop of Cuenca who was probably granted the village, either on 14 December 1208 or 6 June 1211, by Alfonso VII, was added. The original, Latin name, was Dominus García. In modern Spanish, "Dominus" gave "Don", a honorific title, equivalent to "Mr". With time, Dominus García was corrupted to Domingo (Dominic) García.
Noheda (12 inh.) is famous as the the site of a Roman villa; in the
1980s, excavations yielded one of the biggest and best preserved mosaics
ever found. The triclinium (formal reception and dining room) of the
villa, 290 m2 in area, was fully paved with a mosaic, of which an area
of 231 m2 has been preserved.
The mosaic, of exceptional design, was set up with the opus vermiculatum method; the use of very small tesserae allows expressive and dynamic representation of the characters in a very wide chromatic range. The central area of the mosaic is divided in six rectangular panels representing mythological and allegorical scenes, all related with leisure and entertainment. Featuring more than 150 figures, the panels are arranged according to a deliberate narrative scheme, which makes the mosaic unique.
Panel A represents the chariot race that opposed Oenomaeus and Pelops, the suitor of Oenomaeus' daughter, Hippodamia. The race was one of the legendary origins of the Olympic Games, allegedly established by Pelops after his victory.
Panel B represents a theater company (musicians, dancers, mimes and actors) performing a pantomime and a wrestling fight.
Panel C, partially destroyed, represents the Judgement of Paris, starring Hera, Athena and Aphrodite, and Helen's abduction by Paris, guided by Eros.
Panel D represents a Bacchic cortege, featuring Dionysus, Ariadne, Silene and Pan, among centaurs, satyrs and maenads.
Panel E is similar to panel B.
Panel F, partially destroyed by the fall of the villa's roof, represents marine scenes, featuring tritons and nereids.
[M.Á. Valero Tévar. 2016. Los mosaicos de la villa de Noheda (Cuenca). Boletín Arqueología Somos Todos 4, 10-12]
Ivan Sache, 24 July 2019
The flag of Villar de Domingo García is prescribed by an Order issued on
12 July 1995 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 21
July 1995 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 39, p. 4,091 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel twice longer than wide. Per pale, 1. Or, 2. Azure with the coat of arms of Villar de Domingo García.
The coat of arms of Villar de Domingo García is prescribed by an Order
issued on 12 July 1995 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and
published on 21 July 1995 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha,
No. 39, p. 4,091 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1a. Or a fleur-de-lis azure (simplified symbol of the Count of Cabezuelas, who is strongly related to Villar de Domingo García), 1b. Or a tower proper, 2. Azure a crozier argent (representative symbol of García, 3rd Bishop of Cuenca and the town's namesake). [Crown not mentioned].
Ivan Sache, 24 July 2019