This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Villamiel (Municipality, Extremadura, Spain)

Last modified: 2020-11-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: villamiel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Villamiel - Image by Ivan Sache, 23 March 2020

See also:

Presentation of Villamiel

The municipality of Villamiel (407 inhabitants in 2019 vs. 2,229 in 1950; 7,300 ha) is located on the borders with Portugal and Castilla y León (Province of Salamanca), 110 km north-west of Cáceres and 90 km north-west of Plasencia. The municipality is composed of the villages of Villamiel and Trevejo (24 inh.).

Ivan Sache, 23 March 2020

Flag of Villamiel

The flag and arms of Villamiel, adopted on 2 November 1995 by the Municipal Council and validated on 16 February 1996 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 26 February 1996 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 14 March 1996 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 31, pp. 1,102-1,103 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular flag, in proportions 2:3. Composed of two equal horizontal stripes, the lower green, the upper red with a white cross.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules two mounts argent ensigned by a Cross of Malta of the same, 2. Vert a castle argent masoned sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The arms represent the castle of Trevejo, originally built in the 12th century by the Muslims on a rocky spur dominating the village. King Ferdinand II reconquered the area in 1166. Seized by Alfonso VII of León, the fortress was transferred in 1184 to the Order of the Temple, and, after a though struggle, to the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, therefore the Maltese cross on the arms.
The fortress was subsequently owned by the Orders of Saint James and Alcántara, to be eventually offered to the Zúñiga lineage.
Later on, the fortress played a key role during the war against Portugal. It was destroyed in the late 18th century during the French invasion.
[Arte en Ruinas, 26 September 2017]

Ivan Sache, 23 March 2020