Last modified: 2020-11-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: alagón del río |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Alagón del Río - Image by Ivan Sache, 19 March 2020
The municipality of Alagón del Río (940 inhabitants in 2016, 1,382 ha; municipal website) is located 70 km north of Cáceres and 25 km west of Plasencia.
The municipality was established by Decree No. 58, issued on 3 July 2009 and published on 9 July 2009 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 131, pp. 20,100-20,101 (text), separating from Galisteo.
Alagón del Río was established, as Alagón del Caudillo, to relocate the inhabitants of the villages of Granadilla and Martinebrón (Sotoserrano), which were flooded after the building of the Gabriel y Galán dam.
The Colonization Plan of the irrigable area of Gabriel y Galán, drafted by the National Institute of Colonization, was prescribed by a Decree issued on 18 March 1955 by the Spanish government and published on 16 April 1955 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 106, pp. 2,435-2441 (text). Clearing to establish the new settlement started in 1957; in April 1958, 16 households from Granadilla settled it, joined on 9 October by more colonists. Another 30 households from Martinebrón and 9 from Arrofranco arrived later.
Delay in the building of the new village and total lack of anticipation forced the early colonists to experience harsh times. They had to live in "provisory" sheds until 1960, while electricity and freshwater could not be supplied until 1964 and 1969, respectively. The village lacked all basic services (doctor, priest, school, shops). To reach the nearest town, Galisteo, the colonists had to cross river Alagón on a boat and then to walk, since no road served their village The first harvests were lost since the irrigation network was not operational, which forced several families to leave the colony.
Originally managed by the National Institute of Colonization, Alagón del Río was incorporated in 1979 to the municipality of Galisteo. In 1983, the Municipal Council shortened the name of the village from Alagón del Caudillo to Alagón, suppressing a straightforward reference to Francoism.
The submunicipal entity of Alagón was established by Decree No. 164, issued on 25 November 1996 and published on 3 December 1996 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 140, pp. 5,854-5,855 (text). The territorial limits of the entity were established by Decree No. 19, issued on 23 February 1999 and published on 2 March 1999 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 26, pp. 1,270-1,271 (text).
Ivan Sache, 19 March 2020
The flag (photos) and arms of Alagón del Río, adopted on 24 March 2000 by the Village Council [of the then submunicipal entity of Alagón] and validated on 11 June 2000 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 29 June 2000 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 11 July 2000 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 80, pp. 7,229-7,230 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Grafted at hoist, blue with a white triangle charged with the municipal arms. Proportions, 2:3.
Coat of arms: Argent two fesses wavy azure surmounted by a tree eradicated vert fructed or. A bordure gules four pomegranates argent faceted gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closedAlagón.
Ivan Sache, 19 March 2020